Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Above the Clouds

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
User avatar
Posts: 1067
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Some from around Colorado over the past couple years:

Looking east from on the way up Longs:
Image


Looking down from Democrat:
Image


Quandary's West Ridge:
Image


West from Bison Peak:
Image


North from Windy Peak:
Image
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

User avatar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby Rarefied » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm

The one in this trip report came to mind as a favorite for the category:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5039&parmpeak=6030&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

R

User avatar
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:54 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby Kevo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:48 am

High Above the Clouds in One of My Favorite Corners of Nepal-
Image

Another from Nepal-
Image

Above the Clouds On Denali
Image

Image

This is what it looks like when you rappel into a cloud-
Image

More ridiculousness in AK-
Image

Denali's Camp Three, Mt Hunter and Kahiltna Dome above the clouds-
Image

User avatar
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:31 am
Location: South Hero, Vermont

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby jrbren_vt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:48 am

Whiteface Mt., Adirondacks, NY, from 2005.

Image
*****************
Best Regards - John
*****************

Online
User avatar
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 am

Just to show that you don't have to get totally crazy to get above the cloud shots:
0_201207302347541_l.jpg
0_201207302347541_l.jpg (202.6 KiB) Viewed 272 times

Taken at the base of Father Dyer Peak this Saturday at about 6:40 AM. I do wish we could have been a bit further up the mountain before clouds burned off and gotten a better perspective.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

User avatar
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 am
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby mtngoat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:34 pm

From Meteoroligist Joel Gratz.

"For any Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins folks looking for a unique sunrise photo on Saturday morning...
Front range friends... You might want to wake up early on Saturday and hike up a few thousand feet in the foothills. Four day forecasts show a layer of low clouds / fog enveloping the plains around sunrise. Always a super cool photograph to watch the sunset while above the clouds! Here's the model forecast...see where the green line and red line meet near the bottom? That's the model forecasting a saturated airmass near the ground, i.e. fog."
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:47 pm

mtngoat wrote:From Meteoroligist Joel Gratz.

"For any Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins folks looking for a unique sunrise photo on Saturday morning...
Front range friends... You might want to wake up early on Saturday and hike up a few thousand feet in the foothills. Four day forecasts show a layer of low clouds / fog enveloping the plains around sunrise. Always a super cool photograph to watch the sunset while above the clouds! Here's the model forecast...see where the green line and red line meet near the bottom? That's the model forecasting a saturated airmass near the ground, i.e. fog."


Where do you find this? I'd love to be able to see this more regularly, so I could know when it's worth it to wake up extra early for extra gorgeous views and photos.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 4885
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby CO Native » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:41 pm

From the Bross-Lincoln Saddle:
pano.jpg
Bross-Lincoln
pano.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 152 times


Wilson Peak:
P1010087.JPG
Wilson Peak
P1010087.JPG (160.13 KiB) Viewed 152 times


From Mount Yale:
clouds pano.jpg
yale
clouds pano.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 152 times


Pikes Peak:
IMG_1859_60_61_tonemapped.jpg
IMG_1859_60_61_tonemapped.jpg (383.65 KiB) Viewed 151 times



A couple from Rainier:
IMG_0181_stitch.jpg
Rainier Descent
IMG_0181_stitch.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 152 times


IMG_0102_stitch.jpg
Rainier Sunrise
IMG_0102_stitch.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

User avatar
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby ulvetano » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Kevo wrote:High Above the Clouds in One of My Favorite Corners of Nepal-
Image

Another from Nepal-
Image

Above the Clouds On Denali
Image

Image

This is what it looks like when you rappel into a cloud-
Image

More ridiculousness in AK-
Image

Denali's Camp Three, Mt Hunter and Kahiltna Dome above the clouds-
Image


wow - love those Nepal shots!

User avatar
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby shaunster_co » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 pm

farcedude wrote:
mtngoat wrote:From Meteoroligist Joel Gratz.

"For any Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins folks looking for a unique sunrise photo on Saturday morning...
Front range friends... You might want to wake up early on Saturday and hike up a few thousand feet in the foothills. Four day forecasts show a layer of low clouds / fog enveloping the plains around sunrise. Always a super cool photograph to watch the sunset while above the clouds! Here's the model forecast...see where the green line and red line meet near the bottom? That's the model forecasting a saturated airmass near the ground, i.e. fog."


Where do you find this? I'd love to be able to see this more regularly, so I could know when it's worth it to wake up extra early for extra gorgeous views and photos.



This was posted on OpenSnow this morning with the airmass graph.
http://www.facebook.com/findopensnow

Online
User avatar
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:39 pm

shaunster_co wrote:
farcedude wrote:
mtngoat wrote:From Meteoroligist Joel Gratz.

"For any Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins folks looking for a unique sunrise photo on Saturday morning...
Front range friends... You might want to wake up early on Saturday and hike up a few thousand feet in the foothills. Four day forecasts show a layer of low clouds / fog enveloping the plains around sunrise. Always a super cool photograph to watch the sunset while above the clouds! Here's the model forecast...see where the green line and red line meet near the bottom? That's the model forecasting a saturated airmass near the ground, i.e. fog."


Where do you find this? I'd love to be able to see this more regularly, so I could know when it's worth it to wake up extra early for extra gorgeous views and photos.



This was posted on OpenSnow this morning with the airmass graph.
http://www.facebook.com/findopensnow


Thanks! Now to find a good vantage point for Saturday morning!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

User avatar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Above the Clouds

Postby TCUTED » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Not to be a downer or poo poo anything, but I'm always a bit skeptical of those low level layers predicted a week out, especially from the GFS. I don't know a ton about how these "Above the Clouds" set ups work out here, but I go under the general assumption that they are possible most mornings this time of year and will most likely set up where the previous days thunderstorm action was most active, and where the rain lingered longest into the night (I have had some good success forecasting these using this method). Now, there are certainly large scale patterns that will favor these set ups along the foothills which I am not super familiar with, so I won't dare venture out and say whether or not the GFS is predicting one of these. But, if the moist layer shown is associated with remnant convection predicted by the model and not with the large scale pattern, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. But hey, if its raining all night Friday where you are along the foothills, could be a good chance the low-clouds forecast will verify!

Also, since I did see another post from the 'Daks, here is my above clouds contribution!
Attachments
Gothics_Small.jpg
Summit of Gothics: January
Gothics_Small.jpg (159 KiB) Viewed 629 times

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests