Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sept San Juan Lodging Advice

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Sept San Juan Lodging Advice

Postby fahixson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Assuming mostly snow-free conditions will hang around until mid-September this year, we're looking at giving Sneffels and Wilson Peak a try Sept 17-18. Since the grandparents will be part of the trip (as babysitters not hikers), I'd like to find a place to stay rather than camping. Hoping to get some feedback to narrow my lodging search - Ouray, Ridgeway, Silverton, Telluride, Other? We'd be traveling from Denver, likely staying 2-3 nights.

We're not looking for anything fancy and cost is definitely a consideration. Lake City was a great base for Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn, Handies, etc. Looking to venture a little further west this time, but I'm not familiar with any of these towns that would provide convenient drive to Yankee Boy Basin and Rock of Ages TH.

I saw this thread specific to Ouray Lodging (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34638), but didn't want to limit my search to just Ouray if one of the other towns would be a better starting point.

Any thoughts on these towns and/or specific lodging appreciated.

Re: Sept San Juan Lodging Advice

Postby MtHurd » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm partial to Ouray as it is such a cool place to stay and you can soak in the hot springs pool. Silverton would only work if you have reasonable ground clearance to get over Ophir Pass. Telluride is expensive. Ridgeway would work but it isn't as cool of a place as Ouray.

Postby mannosteel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Agree with Barry. Ouray awesome but love Ridgway to lay my head at night. Certainly Ouray is a cooler mtn town but it's right next door.

Postby audiotom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm

The Adobe Inn in ridgeway is great rustic lodging at a nice price.
Great mexican food too

http://adobeinnridgway.com/

And you will see elk on your drive up to Ouray in sept

Postby XMULE » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 am

If a) you value clean & friendly over a pricey McMotel and b) Silverton proves to be a viable alternative, you could do much worse than the Prospector Motel. Tell the proprietor (Andy) you are a fan of a) the White Sox and b) Bill Alsup, and you'll get what amounts to the red carpet treatment. \:D/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Alsup
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:01 am

ouray - historic western (creepy olde hotel that is awesome)
silverton - the prospector will work just fine for the price.

Postby fahixson » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm leaning towards Ouray this trip, but I'm sure this won't be our only excursion to that area. So I'll keep the suggestions for Ridgeway and Silverton in mind next time.

Postby nyker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 pm

On a similar note, can anyone recommend affordable places to stay in Telluride?

Postby MtHurd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Don't know if $131 is affordable, but this place is ranked number 1 on Trip Advisor and has a special until August 29th.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33667-d215853-Reviews-Mountain_Lodge_at_Telluride-Telluride_Colorado.html

Fairly close but it seems like I remember a topic about this that there was a place or two in Rico that is affordable. Might have been this one.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33619-d74713-Reviews-Rico_Hotel_Mountain_Lodge-Rico_Colorado.html

Postby fahixson » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 am

We ended up booking a 3 bedroom townhome in ouray for $150/night. Will give our feedback on the place after we vist in mid-September.
Last edited by fahixson on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby pkripper » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:16 am

As Barry mentioned the mountain lodge at telluride village is outstanding . Rates at mountain village are cheaper than in town. At that time of the year if there are no festivals you should be able to get a reasonable rate. Mountain village is great for kids and the lifts run daily until midnight and for free.

Postby nyker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Cool, thanks, I'll look into these - maybe off season they can be a bit more negotiable!

Next