Hiking a 13'er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pbgodfrey
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking a 13'er

Post by pbgodfrey »

Does anyone know if there are businesses like the rafting ones that take people up a 13'er or 14'er. I would need someone to help me plan, step by step to make sure I have the right gear etc..... This is something I want to accomplish, but most of my friends have no interest in hiking. I do alot of my hiking in Virginia. I don't want to do it alone. I am 53 in good health. I understand the best months are July and August. If anyone can direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it. :D
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Hiking a 13'er

Post by BenfromtheEast »

pbgodfrey wrote: ...I understand the best months are July and August. If anyone can direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Other months have distinct advantages, too. Don't rule them out. You might try throwing out some possible dates and/or specific mountains you're considering and see if someone on here is looking for a partner. You'd save the cost of hiring someone and be more likely to make a friend or three.

Good luck!
Eaglelift
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Eaglelift »

Before you decide to hire a guide and spend money, look for a hiking parterner on this site ( or others ) also keep your eyes on condition and trip reports to better understand which time of year and which mountain is best for you. Good luck
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

Just go do it. The first mountain I tried to hike up was James Peak, in the winter, three attempts. Prior to that I had only driven to the top of Pikes Peak. Learn your style and needs and go from there.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
Nightwolf
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nightwolf »

I agree with posting for hiking buddies. If you're worried about hiking alone then pick a weekend and one of the easy, standard routes where there will be lots of people.
ColoradoScott
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ColoradoScott »

pbg - There are some professional guide services around for the most difficult 14ers around Aspen; there may be some in Vail and Telluride/Ouray as well. By all of the posts above, we're not sure what you are looking for or when. Many of the 13ers & 14ers are Class 2 hikes rather than true "climbs". If you narrow down your desires (difficulty; part of CO, etc.) I'd be happy to help you get the most out of your trip, safely. I'm 52, myself, and have hiked many solo, but I understand your reluctance since you don't hike at higher altitudes much like us CO residents. Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.

Scott