Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hiking a 13'er

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Hiking a 13'er

Postby pbgodfrey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Does anyone know if there are businesses like the rafting ones that take people up a 13'er or 14'er. I would need someone to help me plan, step by step to make sure I have the right gear etc..... This is something I want to accomplish, but most of my friends have no interest in hiking. I do alot of my hiking in Virginia. I don't want to do it alone. I am 53 in good health. I understand the best months are July and August. If anyone can direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it. :D

Re: Hiking a 13'er

Postby BenfromtheEast » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 pm

pbgodfrey wrote: ...I understand the best months are July and August. If anyone can direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Other months have distinct advantages, too. Don't rule them out. You might try throwing out some possible dates and/or specific mountains you're considering and see if someone on here is looking for a partner. You'd save the cost of hiring someone and be more likely to make a friend or three.

Good luck!

Postby Eaglelift » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:01 am

Before you decide to hire a guide and spend money, look for a hiking parterner on this site ( or others ) also keep your eyes on condition and trip reports to better understand which time of year and which mountain is best for you. Good luck

Postby winmag4582001 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:06 am

Just go do it. The first mountain I tried to hike up was James Peak, in the winter, three attempts. Prior to that I had only driven to the top of Pikes Peak. Learn your style and needs and go from there.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Nightwolf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:11 am

I agree with posting for hiking buddies. If you're worried about hiking alone then pick a weekend and one of the easy, standard routes where there will be lots of people.

Postby ColoradoScott » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:00 pm

pbg - There are some professional guide services around for the most difficult 14ers around Aspen; there may be some in Vail and Telluride/Ouray as well. By all of the posts above, we're not sure what you are looking for or when. Many of the 13ers & 14ers are Class 2 hikes rather than true "climbs". If you narrow down your desires (difficulty; part of CO, etc.) I'd be happy to help you get the most out of your trip, safely. I'm 52, myself, and have hiked many solo, but I understand your reluctance since you don't hike at higher altitudes much like us CO residents. Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.

Scott