Elks 3 Day Backpack Suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Elks 3 Day Backpack Suggestions

Post by highplaces »

I am planning a 3 day/2 night backpacking trip in the Elks. Ideally, I’d like to hike in and setup camp, climb something on Day 2 and hike out. But, I could be convinced to do a loop if it came highly recommended.

Scenery is key, I did the 4 Pass Loop in mid-June and wish I had more time just to sit around and take it all in, just magnificent. Looking to repeat scenery like that.

Ideas I’ve come up with include Hagerman from Geneva Lake and Cathedral from Cathedral Lake. But, the climb doesn’t have to be a centennial, I just started looking at the Roach book. Maybe something from Schofield Pass TH?

What are some great 3 day scenic backpacks in the Elks? (I think the answer may be point anywhere on the map!)
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Elks 3 Day Backpack Suggestions

Post by highplaces »

More research has added these to the list of possibilties. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

-West Elk Peak, maybe turn it into a loop
-Something in the Ruby Range, again maybe a loop
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Conundrum Hot Springs hike (10 miles in) with a climb of Castlebra and other 13ers in the area.
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks Lordhelmut for the suggestion. Decided to wait and let the smell of dead cow carcasses dissipate for a bit longer.

Ended up going into Cathedral Lake and camping. What a great spot, and 3 days of blue skies and rainfree weather was most exellent. Day 1, hiked in and setup camp, went up Cathedral. Day 2 went up Electric Peak, some of the way to Hayden, back to Electric, over to Leahy. Then down to the lake and tried our hand at a route up Malemute (once the footing got super sketchy we turned back). Day 3 went for a full moon early morning hike to Electric Peak to watch the sunrise and first light on Bells/Pyramid/Snowmass/Capitol/Elks. Cathedral Lake was busy during the day (great to see so many folks out enjoying the area), but by evening all was quiet, both nights there was only 1 other tent. Only route we saw people on was the trail to Electric Peak. A beauty area to spend a few days.