Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 pm

davebks wrote:It's sickening how much it costs to go there these days, but hey, don't get me started. There is SO much wrong with that corporation. If I didn't love my friends there and just being outside in the mountains so much I would never go.

that's pretty much happening everywhere there is a corp owned ski area except for co-ops or some of the smaller areas. Wasn't it not too long ago there was a huge controversy over the proposed development of a real estate "village" at the base of wolf creek? T-ride comes to mind as well with their build out of the "village" up there...it's basically the new Aspen now. I'm just wondering when it's going to happen in CB. The only thing that slowed it down was the whole economy tanking. You have to wonder when ski areas will get a clue that the whole real estate and development model is unsustainable and they'll have to go back to the basics which is skiing/boarding.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 pm

I get so pissed when things aren't like they used to be.

Postby gdthomas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 pm

I like Vail, Vail Resorts and change.

Postby Mel McKinney » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:44 pm

gdthomas wrote:I like Vail, Vail Resorts and change.

davebks wrote:I love Vail, I hate the corporation.

I'm somewhere in between as a long-time local myself. I don't always agree with what VR decides but I do love skiing here.
I think Vail & BC are large enough to have those "secret stashes." Yeah, the tourists stopping in the roundabouts can drive me nuts, but that's our bread and butter. I don't choose to live anywhere else.

Ski where you effing want to ski. If you don't want to ski Vail then don't.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby CampoVail » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Epic mix, has been a huge success for Vail resorts and is the primary reason for Wifi in the gondola I,m sure. The gourmet restaurant was a gold mine bettering profit predictions by triple. Combine this with chair 4 statistically being the busiest chairlift in North America and you have a new ten person Gondola. Of cousre there will be a future plan for this Mid Vail area that will see more change, there are smarter people than you or I figuring that out.
As for all the people that use the word "I hate" when you start a sentence, com'on really. They are a buisness, that is answering to shareholders and to make a profit. The forest service dictates what they get to build !! If you dont like them dont do buisness with them, dont go there and for pete's sake dont live there !!
I now live in Eagle but still call Vail home of sorts, Fyi the season pass in 97 when I arrived cost more than it does now.
I have worked multiple times as a contractor to Vail Resorts and they have always paid their bills and been nothing short of good employers. The biggest problem with Vail is Parking. There are not enough spaces plain and simple, the town gouges you $28 for the day because it can, there are not alternative options and on a powder day the lots are full by 8 and your on the side of the road a half mile or more away. Understand that Vail is a tourist town built in 63 and lives off tourism.
Dont hate the player hate the game !!

Previous