4 Pass Loop Run Saturday

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

4 Pass Loop Run Saturday

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

I know its pretty late notice....but would anyone like to join me for a run of the 4 pass loop tomorrow. I'm not trying to put up an Anton time of 4:46 but would like to be in the 6 hour ball park.

Never ran it before and wouldn't mind the company (and perhaps the gas sharing....)

Abe
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Re: 4 Pass Loop Run Saturday

Post by RJansen77 »

Ugh I would love to, but other plans already in the works. I see you continuing the momentum from Pb to PPA in a few weeks...
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I'll be out running it with a few friends tomorrow. Probably starting off at a mellow pace, but I'll prob take off for an 8h or so RT then add a little more on. Not going anywhere near 6h though. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'll either be alone or with two petite ladies ;)

Eric

PS Sleeping at the TH somewhere.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
FireOnTheMountain
Trip Reports (23)

Ya to be honest not sure whether 6 is optimistic, lets say 7 just so I don't drive away any possible partners :D
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Can I bring my dog? Are Chacos OK on this hike?
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
FireOnTheMountain
Trip Reports (23)

And guns, lots of guns.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

anna wrote: Geez, this is starting to sound promising. Too bad I don't run. How about skipping merrily along instead?
Well, this loop makes a fantastic 12-13 hour walk as well, and I highly recommend it (done it four times). Also makes a fine casual one-nighter if you know how to pack light (15-20 lbs). Fravert Basin has magnificent places to camp.

BTW: the fastest guys I personally know (and climb with) take 7.5-8 hours for this, which I (humbly) consider to be damn good times. 6 would be a very serious effort for mortals, and of course we all know how well Anton runs.

BTW: The CMC is doing some trail improvement work somewhere along the route, maybe near W. Maroon pass.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Wish I could join you, I try to make a point of doing it at least once a year. Also, 6 hours is very fast on that loop, as is 7. Have fun! :D
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
FireOnTheMountain
Trip Reports (23)

Tory Wells wrote:Wish I could join you, I try to make a point of doing it at least once a year. Also, 6 hours is very fast on that loop, as is 7. Have fun! :D

Interesting. Guess I'll just do my best, good thing I tapered this week.... #-o
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:Wish I could join you, I try to make a point of doing it at least once a year. Also, 6 hours is very fast on that loop, as is 7. Have fun! :D

Interesting. Guess I'll just do my best, good thing I tapered this week.... #-o
The trails are pretty rough so I've always found it to be fairly slow going. How Tony ever went 4:46 on that route is beyond me.

Also, there's a really great spring coming out of the mountain just off the trail between West Maroon Pass and Frigid Air Pass, but much closer to West Maroon. After descending West Maroon (if going clockwise), the spring pops out around where the rocks meet the grass. I always make a point to stop there to fill up my bottles.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

So a 6:30 finish for 28 miles equals out to roughly 14:00 min/mile. On a related note, to finish Leadville in under 25 hours you need to run sub-15 minute miles. So really the question, Abe, is how much do you want this bad boy? August 2013 man, go get it!!

(Oh, and if you could find the previously mentioned watering holes before we run this loop it would be much appreciated)
Attachments
Leadville Buckle.jpg
Leadville Buckle.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 549 times