Chilean Peaks

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Neuder
14ers: 55 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Chilean Peaks

Post by Neuder »

Hello everyone,
I am going to study abroad in Chile for a couple months coming up, and I would like to do some peaks. What I am looking for is accessibility. I won't have too long to climb, so 1-2 day peaks would be optimal. I am going to be located about 50 miles south of Santiago. If anyone has information that would be cool.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Chilean Peaks

Post by Scott P »

Lots of possibilities. What elevation will you be staying at (50 miles south of Santiago could mean anything from sea level to high)? For example, Del Plomo can be done realitively quickly if you are acclimatized, but if you are at sea level you wouldn't want to run up there on a two day trip.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

aconcagua is only 90 miles from there. i think we had 3 different truck drivers offer us cocaina while hitchhiking over from los penitentes. if you go that route we found it was better to say no mas vs a simple no gracias. :shock:
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

aconcagua is only 90 miles from there.
Yes, but it's pretty long for a 1-2 day hike!
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

if you paid for a mule ride into base camp and back out it can be done in 4 days. mule ride in for 1, climb to 19 for 2. summit and decend to 16 for 3, and mule ride out for 4. that would be for falso polaco. obviously you would need to be in tip top shape.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I second Cerro El Plomo. This big boy is almost an 18er! It is very easy to get to Valle Nevado ski resort from Santiago, and the peak is doable as a one or two-day hike if you are in good shape. I did the trip in a day and a half after working during the weekdays in Santaigo. Took every last iota of energy from my body but was well worth it. Bring spikes and an ice axe for the ice crossing. The 10 degree slope is not difficult or dangerous with these two items, but otherwise a fall would be fatal. The Inca ruins are fascinating and the fellow hikers are much more friendly than those you encounter in Colorado. Many people who had good technical skills were doing the direct route up the glacier. The Andes are amazing! They make the Rockies look like minnows. IMHO they can only be beat by the Himalayas themselves.

There are countless number of possibilities from Valle Nevado that you would never complete in your limited stay in Chile. I recall that the prime hiking season in January-March in that region. Before then is prime ski season. I am so darn envious of your study abroad program.
Scott P wrote:Lots of possibilities. What elevation will you be staying at (50 miles south of Santiago could mean anything from sea level to high)? For example, Del Plomo can be done realitively quickly if you are acclimatized, but if you are at sea level you wouldn't want to run up there on a two day trip.
Attachments
from wiki
from wiki
320px-Cerro_del_Plomo_from_the_south-west.jpeg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Shoot, if your going to be there for two months and have time to acclimate why not think big and go for something in the Puna de Atacama. This high desert region along the Argentinian border is home to the highest volcano on earth and second highest mountain in South America Ojos Del Salado. You can drive to a couple thousand feet below the summit and from there it's a walk up. Of course it's walking at 22,000 feet! :lol:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

kaiman wrote:You can drive to a couple thousand feet below the summit and from there it's a walk up. Of course it's walking at 22,000 feet! :lol:
What's the road to the TH like? Can I drive it in my Subaru?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

In addition specific peak climbing, take a trip to Patagonia, the Atacama area up north and Easter Island while you're there.
You won't regret any of those trips!
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

Anyone have any other suggestions for the Santiago area?

My wife and I are going to be spending two weeks in Chile over Christmas. I have 4-5 days in the middle of our trip and we want to do some hiking/climbing up the Andes during our stay. I have looked at Cajon del Maipo and have been looking at Valle Nevado based on some recs I saw on here.

What I am looking for is to get as high as possible without having crampons/axes, etc. Any suggestions for summits similar in difficulty to a CO 14er? Elbert is as high as I have been and would love to get above that.

Any other suggestions for cool hikes within a couple hours from Santiago would also be greatly appreciated. Not limited to summits.

Thanks in advance.

Burns
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Volcan San Jose can sometimes be done without ice axe and crampons, but not always.
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

It's not climbing...just hiking, but Torres del Paine is breathtaking

I second anything in Patagonia.