Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping around Aspen

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping around Aspen

Postby skimrg81 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 pm

I am looking to find a free place to camp around Aspen the night before embarking on the four pass loop. I was thinking of maybe trying to find a spot on independence pass. Does anyone have any other ideas? I will be coming from Denver, most likely over independence pass sometime in late afternoon, so I will not want to hike to far from the road to camp. Thanks in advance.

Re: Camping around Aspen

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:50 pm

You gonna sleep in your car or camp? If you are creative :-" you can find places in Aspen to sleep in your car without being bothered.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 am

Lots of people sleep in their cars at the Maroon Bells long-term lot.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby peter303 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 am

There are some road-side places before and after La Plata trailhead. That is between Twin Lakes and Independence Pass. Otherwise there are established campgrounds at Twin Lakes, three between Independence Pass and west Aspen and two along Maroon Bells road.
Most if not all the off-road places in the vicinity of Aspen have disappeared due to the billionaires vacation mansions hidden in the woods around there. I got hassled by someones security guard two summers ago just stopping on the shoulder of Castle Creek Road to answer a phone call.
Last edited by peter303 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2giqs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

I car camped once near mile marker 70 on rt 82 (just west of the La Plata TH).

I've car camped twice at the end of the Castle Creek Rd where it turns from asphalt to dirt. There's a site or two on the right before the rough road heads uphill. Was able to get my 2wd rental up the initial slope and shortly had the pick of several more sites.

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Indy pass campgrounds are not free. Why not camp at Crater lake and get a jump on the loop. 2 mile hike in from parking.

Postby MrFrumpylane » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 pm

False. For example, if you drive up Lincoln Creek Road past the FS campground, there are multiple dispersed campsites along the road that are free.