Reputable Kilimanjaro Trekking Companies

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mjtodd81
Trip Reports (0)

Reputable Kilimanjaro Trekking Companies

Post by mjtodd81 »

Hi All,
Has anyone used Kessey Brother Tours out of Moshi to climb Kili? If so, are they reputable/dependable?

Having spent several years in Africa, and after a good bit of research, I am just about to book with this company. However, the deposit needs to be paid via bank transfer rather than credit card and this is worrying me.

Thanks!!
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Reputable Kilimanjaro Trekking Companies

Post by Billy the Kid »

Hello,

My wife and I climbed Kili last year. I am not familar with this company, be we used Ultimate Kilimanjaro. We found their prices to be very affordable, compared to other companies, and we had a great experience. I have pasted their website below. Actually, the first picture on their homepage for the Slideshow of Clients was our group. They are a US based company, and they contract the business out to Zara Tours, in Tanzania (I posted their link too). Not trying to change your plans, as I know nothing about the company you are considering...just wanted to let you know who we used and that we were very satified with them. We also climbed via the 8-day Lemosho Route and booked a safari through them, as well...

Ultimate Kilimanjaro- http://www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zara Tours- http://www.zaratours.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck...you will have a blast!

Billy
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Tusker Trails are a little more expensive, but they completely took care of me when I had medical issues at 17,500 feet. They handled everything in a first class manner.

There is a newly formed company called Travel Dirty that was climbing the same time as our group. I would stay away from them. I would be happy to discuss them offline if you would like more information.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

We used Kessy Brothers and were happy with our experience. My wife’s brother had used them a few years earlier so we had a recommendation. I understand what you mean by the bank transfer. Here in the US we aren’t used to that. We found credit cards were not accepted many places in Tanzania, although there were ATMs in the city. It’s best to plan on not using your card at all. That means you’ll be stepping off the airplane with a bunch of cash. But you’ll be met by Kessy Brothers so you won’t be carrying most of it around for long.

Here is my trip report on summitpost
http://www.summitpost.org/kilimanjaro-m ... utm/493811

Big tip. Don’t rush up the mountain. We went the Machame Route and paid for an extra day. What would have been a long day before summit day became 2 easy days at an elevation perfect for acclimating.

We found Kessy Brothers to be competitively priced. You can pay a lot more for a little more pampering. It’s wasn’t our first foreign climbing trip so we felt real taken care of.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
lemurtech
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lemurtech »

I second Tusker Trail. They were great. Definately not the cheapest, but we had no issues, everything was according to plan, very good staff and one of our native Tanzanian guides even had a degree in wildlife management, which meant he knew everything about the plants and animals, which was awesome. We went via the Lemosho Route over 10 days, very awesome trip!!
jrock
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrock »

Africa Adventure Consultants is local out of Denver and does a great job. The food on the trail is locally made and delicious, and all climbs are equipped with oxygen and AED. The guides are NOLS and first responder trained. I'd be happy to chat with anyone who would like more info, too.

Check out the website:
http://www.adventuresinafrica.com/adventures.find.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

My wife and I used Tusker. They were great. She got very ill on the summit and required hospitalization. Tusker provided us with a staff person (at no charge) to help us navigate through third world medical care. Can't say enough good things about them.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."