Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

SPOT Beacon....

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: SPOT Beacon....

Postby creidinger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, I pay $25 per month for Delorme's "recreational" plan. Cross-reference SPOT's $150 per year fee...and...yeah...Delorme is about twice the money.
"GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." Habakkuk 3:19

Postby broncotw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 pm

In doing some research on the various devices (SPOT, ACR, DeLorme) none of them have very good reivews.... Some have questionable service, bad customer service, and horrible billing issues....

This is complicated!!! LOL
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby mtndude3737 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:25 pm

The older mini orange spot is now $99 + activation. You can also add SAR insurance for a small fee per year. I have used it several times in the deserts of Utah and the mountains of Colorado, and the OK signal went out fine to the fam at home. You do have to let it sit out in the open sending the signal for around 30 minutes to make sure it sends, and like all GPS, needs to have a pretty clear view of the southern sky. IE, if Aron Ralston would have had a spot, he still would have had to cut his arm off.

For $99 + activation I feel it is worth having.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Let me begin by suggesting the following link from RMR on PLB's vs Spot and the like.

http://www.rockymountainrescue.org/about_PLBs.php

I have used 3 units Spot Messenger (Gen2) Spot Connect and InReach. None are fool proof. Each has it's own benefits and features that could be improved.
As a prior post asks "It depends upon what you want it for and where you are going to use it". Spot messenger is the "Out of the box" winner in my view. Other than register it and set up your non emergent messages there is not much to do. Spot Connect adds a one way (outgoing) text message feature when paired with a smartphone.
InReach can communicated unit to unit, receive incoming texts and has a "seasonal subscription option. The unit is much larger in size than Spot. ARC PLB's are a different bandwidth that I won't try to tackle here. Read the RMR article or PM me if you need to discuss. Spot Connect would be my purchase given what you provided.

Hopefully didn't give you paralysis by analysis
Good luck

Postby Roald » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:11 pm

creidinger wrote:Yeah, I pay $25 per month for Delorme's "recreational" plan. Cross-reference SPOT's $150 per year fee...and...yeah...Delorme is about twice the money.

There are two options to keep the annual cost the exact same as SPOT:

1)Use the recreational plan for a few months, then switch down to the basic plan for the remainder of the year. Even with the change fee the math works out to be about $160, or about the same as SPOT.

2)They have now created another option to help with the fees - You can sign up for the recreational plan for 4 months at $40, then go inactive until you're ready to sign back up. This is what i went with, since I really only need it during the summer anyway.

I spent a lot of time crunching the numbers before I switched from the gen 1 SPOT to Delorme two months ago, and it can be kept to the same annual cost as SPOT. I have been very happy with Delorme so far and its cool to be able to link, track, view maps, and have 2-way texting through my android. I NEVER had a single problem with my SPOT in the three years I had it, and only switched to get the two way messaging. You can't wrong with either unit as far as I'm concerned.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby creidinger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:16 pm

But for those like me who do go out in the winter...going inactive with the Inreach is not something I would be comfortable with. If you ever need rescue in the winter, it is for obvious reasons an even more urgent situation.
"GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." Habakkuk 3:19

Postby Roald » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Then choose option 1. Same cost as a SPOT.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby Roald » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Broncotw - As I said in my post, I recently switched from a gen 1 SPOT to a Delorme InReach. I was thinking about throwing the gen 1 SPOT up on EBay since I don't need it now. I'll give you mine for a dramatically reduced price compared to new, including case and all. It has been very reliable to me, and it needs to go to a good home. That way you could try one out and see if you like it without forking out $150. PM me if interested.
chrismjx wrote:

Postby highcomm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:14 pm

I traded my SPOT for an InReach. InReach has a far superior satellite network wich I will need when I visit Patagonia and Antarctica next February and March.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 pm

creidinger wrote:But for those like me who do go out in the winter...going inactive with the Inreach is not something I would be comfortable with. If you ever need rescue in the winter, it is for obvious reasons an even more urgent situation.

I am not sure if "InReach" works the same way but Spot SOS feature works without a subscription. I am not advocating "Not paying" but you will not have and extra features. No tracking, OK messaging, etc. Just the SOS feature which goes to a tracking center who directs the data to the appropriate authorities based on GPS coordinates. Much like cell phone 911 will work on any phone, service plan or not. If this is the case with "DeLorme" the SOS function would be available even during
your off season emergencies but you would likely not have any other features or services or even the ability to communicate the details of your emergency. Just an SOS ping with location info.

As mentioned earlier, "Some Personal Preferences to establish and some homework to do". Good luck

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 am

There was a post about the technical and operational differences between Spot and true PLB like Find Fast.

I'd recommend you search for it.

I tried and can not find it.

http://www.fastfindplb.com/us/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:09 am

Dex wrote:There was a post about the technical and operational differences between Spot and true PLB like Find Fast.

I'd recommend you search for it.

I tried and can not find it.

http://www.fastfindplb.com/us/

Most answers will be found in RMR's article

http://www.rockymountainrescue.org/about_PLBs.php

PreviousNext