arapahoe traverse?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

arapahoe traverse?

Post by SolarAlex »

how difficult is this route? I was randomly going through peaks on the 13ers website to see if i could find an easyish scramble to do soon...the old baldy + s araphoe combo is rated 2+... the ridge to n arapahoe looks pretty awesome... the ridge looks to be class 3 with a class 4 move here and there? i read some trip reports that all mentioned the class 4 slab...but i was wondering if anyone had any other info...how big a step up would this be from kelso ridge?

thanks!
Vincit Qui Patitur
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: arapahoe traverse?

Post by Floyd »

I haven't done Kelso, but I have done the Arapaho Traverse and it was covered with snow. It's actually pretty straight forward. The one move is that block which I guess you can call Class 4. I don't remember anything being overly difficult and from what I've seen and read about Kelso, I would imagine Kelso would be harder.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
SolarAlex
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

wow, your trip report looks pretty awesome...cant wait to get some snow climbs next winter/spring
Vincit Qui Patitur
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Floyd wrote:that block which I guess you can call Class 4
+1

No disrespect to folks who have pegged it as high as low 5th, but the move is neither intimidating nor difficult and frankly doesn't deserve the kind of hype that would cause folks like the OP to question. Compared to Kelso, I think the Arapaho traverse is easier. But I'd strongly recommend doing the whole thing via Skywalker!
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

it's definitely class 3, i really didn't think the block warranted anything above that...there are a few parts that are kinda exposed, but other than that it's pretty straight forward. I guess it might be harder for someone that is short. It's kind of sad since there are even arrows painted on some of the rocks to show you the way. The views are amazing from the top and the "glacier" is very impressive...one of my favorites near boulder.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

I found it very comparable to Kelso. I agree the slab is overrated, especially if you are tall. If you stay on the ridge proper you will defintely find harder moves than the slab that on the traverse. If I had to say one, I would say that arapahoe has slightly harder moves, but it is so close that if you are comfortable on Kelso, you'll be fine on arapahoe.
SolarAlex
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

awesome! im 6'3, so hopefully that will make things easier for me. really looking forward to doing this traverse in the next couple of weeks.
Vincit Qui Patitur