Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Postby ChicagoMike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 am

What a shame. RIP Vista Bahn.

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 am

ChicagoMike wrote:What a shame. RIP Vista Bahn.

Vista Bahn had the biggest lift line on the mountain, especially on weekend mornings or on a powder day. I've seen that wait time go beyond 45 minutes and that was for folks who showed up at 8:45 AM.

It will now be the best start for anyone wanting to get to the back bowls on a powder day. Lionshead (Ice, man-made snow, bridges and S.P.O.R.E.) is the worst area on Vail and now you can skip it in its entirety. I think this is a great change. However, chairs 3 and 4 at mid-vail will have the longest lines. Get there early on a weekend or powder day.

WiFi will only help further promote Vail's reach into social media so people can "check-in," tag photos and view their Epic Mix in real time. As for the luxurious black heated seats... bring a date and get your own sky cab!
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 am

tommyboy360 wrote:

It will now be the best start for anyone wanting to get to the back bowls on a powder day. Lionshead (Ice, man-made snow, bridges and S.P.O.R.E.) is the worst area on Vail and now you can skip it in its entirety. I think this is a great change. However, chairs 3 and 4 at mid-vail will have the longest lines. Get there early on a weekend or powder day.

how will this be different than keystone's gondola? I always thought the gondola was slower on and off than a high speed chair lift would be? get your skis/board off, slower station speed, get all your gear back on...in my opinion this just cancels out the fact that it might be one of the fastest gondolas while it's out from the station.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby prestone818 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 am

There will be lots of iPhones, droids to be found come spring

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

ajkagy wrote:how will this be different than keystone's gondola? I always thought the gondola was slower on and off than a high speed chair lift would be? get your skis/board off, slower station speed, get all your gear back on...in my opinion this just cancels out the fact that it might be one of the fastest gondolas while it's out from the station.

It's better overall for the average skier parking or staying at Vail Village. The old Vista Bahn quad chair was the only lift option from this base area unless you wanted to hike to Golden Peak's Riva Bahn or get on a bus to Lionshead. This will not be a slow down for the first chair in the morning on a powder day. Exit the gondi, quickly click/strap-in and skate on over to chair 3. You'll be the first on Ptarmigan ridge and will not have to return to mid-vail or Lionshead for the remainder of the day.

Hopefully it's a higher speed and capacity than the gondi at Keystone? At least it will help get more people up the mountain in the morning so they can get better lift options. Also, a gondi should not have as many stops due to people wiping out as they load or unload. Perhaps they should have left the old Vista Bahn quad chair in but mid-Vail does not have the room for that many skiers to be arriving, traversing, queuing in line or crossing that area.

prestone818 wrote:There will be lots of iPhones, droids to be found come spring

Haha! :lol:
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm

I would think it would keep tourists on the front side...definitely a win for locals on a snowy cold day

Postby ChicagoMike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:

Vista Bahn had the biggest lift line on the mountain, especially on weekend mornings or on a powder day. I've seen that wait time go beyond 45 minutes and that was for folks who showed up at 8:45 AM.

WiFi will only help further promote Vail's reach into social media so people can "check-in," tag photos and view their Epic Mix in real time. As for the luxurious black heated seats... bring a date and get your own sky cab!

Yep those lines could be brutal. And as you pointed out now mid vail is going to be a cluster. Regardless, I am a little nostalgic for the old rasta bahn and even the old chair 10. I guess I am getting old.

Postby dave_navy_VA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:35 pm

I can't remember the last time I started the day on VB -vs- lift 8 or 19, avoiding the village cluster. I would rather see them just enclose 36 (Tea Cup) which is pretty exposed, but I don't see the wifi option making sense for any of them. The last thing I am doing is fiddling around with email and texts on the way up, even late in the day. 99% of smartphones require a data package anyway, so I don't see the connectivity gap. Unless this means Vail needs to accommodate the new mini iPad bought as wifi only?

Postby iheshvail » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 pm

tommyboy360:

so yes it will be the fastest starting point to the back. but i can't disagree more with lionshead being the worst area in vail. i dont even go to the back on busy powder days because the tree's in the front stay great(all day IF you know them) and a certain lift in lionshead has the shortest line.

personally i wish they would of taken out 4. made a loading/unload area out of mid vail then continued to the top of 4.
if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 am

There is something very unskiing about putting your boots on in a parking garage in the am ... lol at peoPle that think Vail owns

Postby gone_skiing » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am

I agree with powpowing the front side!! Last year I rode the back bowls once....hopped back to the front side and ski'd two feet of pow in the trees for the next two days. ....but i'm not telling where!!! :)

Postby prestone818 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:08 am

gone_skiing wrote:I agree with powpowing the front side!! Last year I rode the back bowls once....hopped back to the front side and ski'd two feet of pow in the trees for the next two days. ....but i'm not telling where!!! :)

good then no one will find you

PreviousNext