Deming Drop Coulior

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Deming Drop Coulior

Post by boudreaux »

I was up on Deming Mountain the other day and while looking through the register, I saw Joe "Mr Gore" Kramarsic say he came up from Deming Drop Coulior. Anyone of you fellow Gore aficinados know anything about this coulior and what side of the mountain it is on. Sounds very interesting for a next time adventure in the Gores. Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance!
Ragin Cajun
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Deming Drop Coulior

Post by EatinHardtack »

Talk to lordhelmut or benners. I believe they skied it if my memory is correct.
Paul S
14ers: 51 
13ers: 164
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paul S »

boudreaux wrote:I was up on Deming Mountain the other day and while looking through the register, I saw Joe "Mr Gore" Kramarsic say he came up from Deming Drop Coulior. Anyone of you fellow Gore aficinados know anything about this coulior and what side of the mountain it is on. Sounds very interesting for a next time adventure in the Gores. Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance!
Hey Beauby - When were you on Deming? We were on the summit last Sunday morning (7/21) around 8:00am. Would have been neat to run into you there. \:D/ We took the standard route via the Meadow Creek trail towards Eccles Pass. Don't know what the Drop Couloir route is. Nice summit!
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Boudreaux -

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

The very first picture in this TR is looking at the Drop from the East, and that's Red/Buffalo Pass in the foreground. We skied it by simply climbing Deming from Eccles Pass, skiing the Drop, then regaining a saddle on Deming's East Slopes. If you wanted to climb it, ascend Eccles Pass via Meadow Creek, drop down in to basin to the East of Deming, the South of Red and the West of Buffalo. Once in that basin, do an ascending traverse towards Red/Buff Pass, gain pass, drop down accordingly and then ascend Drop (then descend standard route Paul S described). Its a really fun, tucked in snow climb. Enjoy.

edit : Also, image #19 in the TR is at the base of the Drop, looking East towards Red/Buff Pass (the obvious one in the background littered with trees).
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

Here's a link to my TR (same day/crew as above) if you're interested, and there's some info on Stanwagon.com as well.

http://exploretherockies.wordpress.com/ ... ming-drop/
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Hey Paulie, Greetings from Deming Peak! I was gonna send you a postcard about Deming! I was on Deming Monday morning at 10 am. I was very pleasantly surprised to see you and Kate made it up the previous day. I barely made it up, I ran out of gas in the lower meadow by the beaver pond and took a 30 minute break to refuel, but then I still struggled mightily up the talus and grass of the east slopes. It was a repeat on the way to W Deming, but I blew it off after a long snooze at the summit and then went over to Eccles Pass for some views of Red Buffalo Pass and surrounding peaks. Really good to know you are here, what about Kate, she here too?
Ragin Cajun
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Lordhelmet, so the drop is directly right off the north end of the summit into Gore Creek? That basin at the end of Gore Creek looks very nice and would make an awesome campsite. Any other couliors of note on Deming from the west face? I was looking up that basin too many times to count on my first trip up Red Buffalo back in '91, maybe the time has come to get in there and find out what it's all about! Thanks for the pics from you and Benners!

I saw all the Deming family signed in too, very interesting story on the naming of the peak, had me wondering who the grandpa was.
Ragin Cajun
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

Yup, if you walk directly north from the summit you can't miss it.

I don't remember seeing the west side, but perhaps Brian and Ben were paying more attention....
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd