Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Postby lodidodi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:54 am

http://www.9news.com/news/article/279545/339/Vail-getting-fastest-gondola-with-heated-seats

Heated seats sound nice but WiFi? People already screw up getting on/off the gondola so now they have to put away their ipad first.

Re: New Vail Gondola with heated seats and wifi

Postby brianjdelehanty » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 am

Because a day skiing at Vail would just be so boring without being able to connect to the internet. This next generation is going to be worthless.

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 am

What's wrong with conversation with fellow skiers or listening to nature? [-(

Postby Adventure Seeker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:25 am

Maybe it's so you can order a drink online and have it served to you as soon as you get off the Gondola. Think about the money that can be made. $10 for a beer. Plus a $10 service fee. :lol:

Postby thetoddman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 am

PaliKona wrote:What's wrong with conversation with fellow skiers or listening to nature? [-(

Quite frankly, most of those that 'have' to be 'connected' every second to their iPad, iPhone, iPod, or iAnything aren't really worth talking with, IMO.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 am

this just gives people more of a reason to mock vail if they haven't had enough reasons to begin with. I imagine though they are trying to appease their main clientele who are more concerned about internet access and shopping than skiing. If they have the cash to spend then more power to them.

I still think heated seats in a gondola are a bit silly :lol:

Now, heated seats on brecks imperial chair or loveland's chair 9 would be kinda awesome
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 am

If you're cold, you're not skiing hard enough.

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 am

ajkagy wrote:I imagine though they are trying to appease their main clientele who are more concerned about internet access and shopping than skiing. If they have the cash to spend then more power to them.

95% of the bandwidth on the Vail gondola wifi will be used to tell other people that the Vail gondola has wifi.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby BKullman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 am

I agree with ajkagy that Vail continues to give people more and more reasons to hate them. I just hope most of the tourists just ride the new gondola around and around while on their phones, enjoying the heated seats and not crowding the mountain. It will be interesting to see what Mid Vail looks like this winter...I love the $10 beer idea with a $10 service charge. Why would someone want to carry a flask or a backpack full of beers with this service in place. A beer almost costs as much as a parking spot!

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:54 am

BKullman wrote:I agree with ajkagy that Vail continues to give people more and more reasons to hate them. I just hope most of the tourists just ride the new gondola around and around while on their phones, enjoying the heated seats and not crowding the mountain. It will be interesting to see what Mid Vail looks like this winter...I love the $10 beer idea with a $10 service charge. Why would someone want to carry a flask or a backpack full of beers with this service in place. A beer almost costs as much as a parking spot!

if it keeps the tourists on the front side in a confined area so the locals/CO front range skiers get all the goods then it's a win/win :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 am

heated seats are nice but how about a pretentious starbucks barista in each gondola to whip up my favorite 17 dollar coffee based beverage? sounds dreadfully uncivilized

Postby Bean » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 am

BenfromtheEast wrote:If you're cold, you're not skiing hard enough.

Or you're skiing at Loveland.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next