Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trip Ideas

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Trip Ideas

Postby Crazytown » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm

I am looking to take a little trip to Denver area for Labor Day weekend. I am considering one of the 14k ft hikes with my girlfriend (we are enthusiasts coming from the Midewest). A friend directed me to Grays or Torreys. We will be renting a small Chevy Aveo and am wondering if I will be able to get to the trailhead based on information from various posts I have read on this site. Also, I am trying to determine where to stay in the area. We would like to do some hiking and enjoy the outdoors for a few days and then might stay in Downtown for a night. We just might be celebrating a little special occasion, which I hope to make happen at the Summit of one these peaks. So....I am looking for some quaint quiet winery recommendations, restaurants, and/or a location to make "home base" for a couple days. Thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Trip Ideas

Postby dmccool » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:49 pm

You won't get to the Grays TH with a Chevy Aveo. However, that place will be crowded and you could likely snag a ride. It's about 3 miles from the I-70 turnoff (lower parking) to the upper TH. Just get there early (say, 6am or so). There should be options for you.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Stay in Ouray Colorado, rent a Jeep, and climb Sneffels. It's an amazing place. It is worth the drive if you are flying into Denver.

If it has to be close to Denver, you won't find peace and quite but Breckenridge with a climb of Quandary might do the trick.
Last edited by MtHurd on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby michaelgrundy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm

You could also do Mt. Bierstadt. It has a great road all the way up to the trail head, so your car shouldn't have any problems. If you are looking for something further away from Denver, Quandary would also be a good choice!

Postby colokeith » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm

I would personally not attempt to take a Chevy Avio up to the Grays Peak trailhead. Some people manage to get small cars up crazy trails, but it takes extreme care to avoid damage / getting stuck

Breckenridge is a very fun Mountain town, and would make a good homebase. Quandary would be close, and is easily accessible by 2wd.

Evergreen is a pretty cool little town closer to Denver. The lodging options are a little sparse (there is a nice creek side winery)

Good luck
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Crazytown » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks all! If in a pinch and its decided to do Grays, could one park in the lower parking and hike the 3 miles to the Upper TH (snagging a ride would be ideal)? I have read that this particular hike does get crowded so that may deter me. I will look into Quandary as well. I Would like to do a 14er, but also looking for shorter day hikes....recommendations have included Mt. Falcon, Hanging Lake/Spouting Rock, Maxwell Falls. Lastly, I have given some thought to staying in Estes Park....how is Longs Peak and the surrounding areas for smaller hikes and entertainment (wineries, brewies etc)? Has anyone gone to the Tennessee Pass - Cookhouse?

I will also look into Breckenridge! Appreciate it!

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 pm

I did the hike one year when I had a Corolla. Not bad. Boring though. You could probably hitch a ride. There will be tons of people, especially since it will be Labor Day.

Buena Vista may be an option with Yale as the 14er. One of my favorite summit views. A winery is close by in Salida. Salida is a nice town to spend a afternoon in. Royal Gorge is close by. A hike on the Alpine Tunnel is a good one too. There are hot springs close by as well.

http://www.vinosalida.com/

http://www.summitpost.org/via-east-alpine-tunnel-trail/340857

http://www.mtprinceton.com/

Postby Vellum_and_Ink » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 pm

When I drove up to Greys upper TH 2 years ago I saw Prius, a Scion, and a Neon make it to the upper TH. There were some rough spots where they definitely had to take a "pot hole" very slowly, and come at it sideways, but they did make it to the top. I was in a rented Ford Escape, and was happy for the extra clearance, but I could have made it in a sedan. Im not sure how much its changed since then, but thats my two cents.