Missing Climber on Maroon Bells

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
sarag17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Climber on Maroon Bells

Post by sarag17 »

For anyone on this thread that is also on FB, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT say anything. His parents and grandparents do not yet know and this would be the worst way they could find out.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

:(
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to his family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

I lift my eyes to the hills- from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord.

Prayers to all.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

My thoughts and prayers are with the family. Sorry for your loss.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
Mike Cormier
14ers: 45  9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike Cormier »

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

How terrible!...I am so sorry to hear of this news. I wish the best for his family and loved ones...

RIP
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

To the friends and family, please accept my condolences. I am sorry for your loss.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

May Lenny rest in peace. Strength and comfort to his family and friends during this time of loss.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Let us give thanks to God for the many blessings we have received. Let us give thanks for the splendor of the mountains we love. However, let us also remember the price many pay on these mountains.

To our mountaineering comrade. He lived, he felt, he was as vibrant, as energetic, as mortal as you and I. He was brave and adventurous. He, like many of us, came to Colorado to be closer to the heavens than most ever dare. Some may argue about the futility of climbing mountains, but we should never forget those that have died pursuing their passion to conquer the unconquerable.

Many a man has heeded the siren call of the mountains through the years, many a man has heard that call for the last time in these solemn heights. Let us not forget our fallen friend. Though few of us knew him, our connection to him in this passion for the mountains unites us. In this we understand him, are connected to him, we know him, and feel loss for his passing.

May God’s peace sooth the aching hearts of them many that knew you and loved you, and may they be reminded that though this separation is painful it is only temporary.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

More info on North Maroon death

Post by tmathews »

Sorry to start a new topic on this subject, but the other thread hasn't been unlocked yet. I just saw this article which has a lot more information than I've seen before now.

RIP, Lenny. My sincerest condolences to family and friends....

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/fdn ... -1.1121319
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: More info on North Maroon death

Post by somethingrandom »

I too heard about this from start (missing hiker) to finish (just after his body was found) and while there are other threads whining about this or that, I do not want Lenny's death to go unnoticed in the face of childish disagreement.

Lenny was a hero of all heroes. A fireman who put his life on the line for others. The world is a lesser place without you Lenny. My condolences to Lenny's family and friends.

RIP Lenny
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.