Mt. Sopris TH - - Dinkle Lake Parking Lot

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Sopris TH - - Dinkle Lake Parking Lot

Post by sad2 »

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-sopris/150233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can someone let me know what the TH is like for Mt. Sopris? The above link says dirt road.

Is 4wd necessary? Do I need a high clearance vehicle?

From I-70 go south on highway 82 towards Carbondale. At the Highway 133 intersection, head south on Highway 133, through the town of Carbondale and after about 2.5 miles you need to turn left (east) on Prince Creek Road. Follow this road for about 6.3 miles or so (it turns to dirt at about mile 2.8) until you come to a confusing intersection. Keep right to follow the road to Dinkle Lake. (there is a sign there now pointing the way). You will pass some private property driveways along the way keep driving. The parking area for the trailhead for Mount Sopris is at Dinkle Lake - about 2 miles from the confusing intersection.
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mt. Sopris TH - - Dinkle Lake Parking Lot

Post by DanR »

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and had no trouble making it in my sedan. There was a spot or two shortly before the trailhead where some care was necessary but the road was generally in fine condition.
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Thanks Danr.

How were the trail conditions?

Any snow?

Will route-finding be an issue?
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

The trail was snow free and and I thought that it was easy to follow up until the final talus slope leading to the east summit, though that didn't matter as the route was obvious. It's a great hike - enjoy!
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Thanks.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

The trail head and parking are just under a half mile from the lake. You'll see a fenced in area with a restroom in the corner of the lot. This is the parking area. The trailhead is right accross the road. From the trailhead you will go about 4 miles the the second lake and the start of the trail up sopris. You go up some switchbacks and come out on top and start up a gradual slope. (If you've done Quandary this is about the same, but without the alt.) When you get to the talus slope ( Some call it the staircase) make your way up over the top and it levels out a little. You can go around the false summit here or over the top if you want. After the false summit you make your way down a long saddle then up the ridge to the summit. Just when you think you're at the summit you have a 500 feet on almost flat ground to go. You'll know you're at the summit when you see the wind shelters and the steel pipe. To finish things off you can hike the half mile to the second summit of the same hight. Hope this helps.
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Yes it does. Thanks Michael.