Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

any advice would be appreciated

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: any advice would be appreciated

Postby pvnisher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:27 pm

dswink wrote:For guys, don't cross the streams!

What, no sword-fighting?

In CO I generally tend to find a place where, if I'm seen, it'll at least only be my back.
In Europe that is not as much a consideration. I've seen dudes dropping deuces on the side of the HIGHWAY. And leaving steamers along mountain ridges in the trail. And peeing whilst belaying.

Postby MtHurd » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:39 pm

pvnisher wrote:And peeing whilst belaying.

That's a good time to take a hard fall and watch him pee himself.

Postby Hungry Jack » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Have tou considered Sherman, which is right outside Leadville? It is probably not as scenic, but arguably easier (240 ft lower) and easier logistically. Quandary is also a good alternative, or even Elbert.

The drawback of Grays include its popularity and proximity to Denver, which could mean parking down the road from the trailhead. The lot could be full by the time you arrive.

Postby KentonB » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:19 pm

jim pelech wrote:what's the etiquette about peeing above the treeline?

Jim,

It sounds like you've gotten more advice than you ever wanted about this issue! LOL It can be hard to find solitude on Grays, but usually even on the busiest of 14ers there's a rock formation or ridgeline you can duck behind (it's been many years since I did Grays, so my memory is fading on this particular peak). Generally speaking, you just want to make sure you're off the trail... If someone happens to come across you, most are very considerate and understanding.

As for kids, mine are usually more self-conscious about urinating in public than I am. I just try to help them find the most out-of-the-way spot as possible. As long as they're not peeing right on the trail, no one else it going to care.

Postby seano732 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:43 pm

+1 on always being ready to turn around with little ones. I tried to take my twin 7 year olds up Grays and Torreys last weekend. We parked about halfway up the road, and one of them was struggling by the time we got to the trailhead. She wanted to keep going, which we did, but she just wasn't enjoying it. Turns out she had a huge blister on her heel and didn't want to tell me. We turned around at about 12,000ft, and I took turns giving piggyback rides all the way back down to the car. Start early, be safe, and have fun. Peace!
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Postby SikYou » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Of the peaks that I've been on, Gray's is the hardest to find a place to pee. There are definitely much better alternative 14ers that are closer to Leadville, have easier access, few people, and better pee opportunities. I'm going f up to kite lake this week for my 5 year old first summit attempt, Democrat is a good hike for kids because of the short approach and the relatively short RT distance. Good luck!
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Postby planet54 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Here is a kids page from noaa. It might help them understand the reason for hiking early in the day.
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/kids.htm
Be safe and have a great time. :)
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby bf31415 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I just did G&T today. That one spot on the jeep trail (I'm guessing about 1.5 miles up from I-70) hasn't gotten any better and with the rain they had yesterday, its now muddy. I made it up in my 4runner but when I was driving back down about 11am, there were more cars and a surprising number of SUVs parked below that spot than up at the actual TH. What this means is if you park below this spot, you'll have a 1.5 mile uphill hike just to get to the summer TH.

Another option is to try Grays from the Keystone side That would cut 45 minutes of time off your drive to the standard route and might provide a bit more privacy, But I've not hiked in from that direction so don't know how it compares, etc.

Postby brianjdelehanty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 pm

The road is easy to get up if you have the appropriate car (I used a Ford Escape). The trail itself is not dangerous, difficult, etc. It's very straight forward and you have nice views of Breck, Keystone, and A-Basin from the top. It is WELL traveled so get there early unless you want to park low.

As for peeing, I would just say at least have your back turned. I kid you not I saw an old man drop trou about a foot off the trail and got a healthy dose of old man package on the way down from Longs this Friday. Don't be that guy.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 pm

as for pee etiquette: there are a bunch of info signs that suggest peeing on rocks instead of plants/flowers because the salt in the urine will entice animals to eat the shrubbery.

but hell - find a spot and pee. Grey's is a hard one after treeline. Unless you're really wanting G/T I'd go with another peak. Democrat is great because it's short and sweet. Then, if they're feeling well you can bag 1-3 more peaks very easily. You can also bail from those other peaks rather easily

Previous