Tent camping in the Tetons & Yellowstone

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Tent camping in the Tetons & Yellowstone

Post by DurangoJenn »

For those of you who have camped at either or both parks, what are your favorite campgrounds? I've researched quite a bit as I'm heading there in a couple of weeks with my boys and at the Tetons, I know Jenny Lake is a popular choice, but I think Signal Mountain actually appeals to me a little bit more. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one and I do plan to get there early in the hopes of getting a site. At Yellowstone, I think Norris is where I want to go. If you have opinions, I'd love to hear them. :D
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Tent camping in the Tetons & Yellowstone

Post by peter303 »

Probably whatever you can get a space at. Everything is booked solid in August.
DurangoJenn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

peter303 wrote:Probably whatever you can get a space at. Everything is booked solid in August.
Actually, it's not booked solid, but I don't want to stay at any of the campgrounds that can be booked ahead of time. They don't appeal to me. None of the campgrounds in the Tetons can be reserved ahead of time and only five at Yellowstone can.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

DurangoJenn wrote:
peter303 wrote:Probably whatever you can get a space at. Everything is booked solid in August.
Actually, it's not booked solid, but I don't want to stay at any of the campgrounds that can be booked ahead of time. They don't appeal to me. None of the campgrounds in the Tetons can be reserved ahead of time and only five at Yellowstone can.
Not true. Some campgrounds allow 1/3 of the spots to be pre-booked January through May. Otherwise it is a first come first serve backcountry permit for camping spots. As they only allow so many people camping in the backcountry. I am not too sure about the drive up spots though.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bcres.htm
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
DurangoJenn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

SeracZack wrote:
DurangoJenn wrote:
Not true. Some campgrounds allow 1/3 of the spots to be pre-booked January through May. Otherwise it is a first come first serve backcountry permit for camping spots. As they only allow so many people camping in the backcountry. I am not too sure about the drive up spots though.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bcres.htm
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant drive-up spots, not backcountry.
ccolgan32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ccolgan32 »

I love Signal Mountain! Stay there for sure! It has great access to Jackson Lake and beautiful sunrise/sunsets. As far as Yellowstone...everywhere I've always stayed has been really packed (Probably my favorite being West Yellowstone).
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Wherever you camp, be "bear aware" ... and make you those around you also keep a clean campsite.
Have fun! Some beautiful country up there.
DurangoJenn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

ccolgan32 wrote:I love Signal Mountain! Stay there for sure! It has great access to Jackson Lake and beautiful sunrise/sunsets. As far as Yellowstone...everywhere I've always stayed has been really packed (Probably my favorite being West Yellowstone).
Thanks for the feedback on Signal. Glad to hear you love it! Yeah, I'm expecting Yellowstone to be super busy and crowded, but I'm mentally prepared for it.
nyker wrote:Wherever you camp, be "bear aware" ... and make you those around you also keep a clean campsite.
Have fun! Some beautiful country up there.
Thanks. I am definitely bear aware (or as I call myself, "bearanoid"). Got the bear spray with holster, got bear bells, got two boys who know how to make a lot of noise, LOL. Bear country is probably the only place I'd not tell them to stop arguing and making so much noise. :wink: We were at Yosemite last month and EVERYTHING had to go in a bear locker there, nothing allowed to be left in the vehicle, no lip balm, no lotion, no anything. I never realized I had so much stuff like that in the compartments in my van until I had to put it all in a bear locker.