Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Goats on Quandary

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Mountain Goats on Quandary

Postby djkest » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 am

This popped up on Reddit recently. The comments are pretty funny.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/wro4p/so_these_two_just_wouldnt_leave_me_alone_as_i/

**Caution: some of the reddit comments are not family friendly**
Last edited by djkest on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Mountain Goats on Quandary

Postby mbrendel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:58 am

I was on Quandry on 7/9 with my son. We had the same problem. All we wanted to do was get out of this goat's (and baby) way and it kept coming after us. Finally it gave up and moved on when more hikers came up on us.

Postby Craig Cook » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:37 pm

I was on Quandary last Thursday and saw 4 mountain goats. They ignored me for the most part, although I never went to the bathroom in front of them. One of the adult goats did start following a couple guys down the trail, but I was heading up and lost sight f them pretty quick.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby SikYou » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Ran in to these guys Image on Quandary a few weeks ago...

A few months ago my 5 year old daughter was shown a video of mountain goats lapping up urine and she was amazed by this behavior; I promised her that I would take a video of mountain goats fighting over my urine if I ever ran in to them while hiking. Well when I saw these guys I just happen to have to "go", so I busted out my video camera and after forcing my way through the large group of goats that refused to get off of the trail, I...went! Much to my surprise, the goats had no interest in my urine at all (I have video proof if you're interested, don't worry, I started recording AFTER I was done peeing). I was within just a few feet of about 10 goats and they completely ignored me and my urine. Needless to say, my daughter was pretty disappointed with the video.

The biggest surprise was their complete disregard for me. I literally had to wave my way through the crowd of goats with my trekking poles, they just didn't care that I was there.
Most people just call me Brian.

Postby Eviledge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:12 pm

The funny thing is he didn't seem to read the top-rated comments to find out the goats were after the OPs pee.

You down with OP's pee?

Yeah... you know me!

My cubemates at work think I'm a lunatic because I couldn't stop laughing at this. :lol:
"Remember that time spent on a rock climb isn't subtracted from your life span." — Will Niccolls.

Postby michaelgrundy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 pm

My Fiance, her cousin, and I were on Quandary on 7/7 and had issues as well. While on our decent, there was a single goat that met us about 1/4 the way down the mountain and just stood there. After a little bit of time, it decided to stomp its front hoof on the ground. We decided to back up and give it space... and it eventually left. As we continued down the mountain (probably 400 vertical ft from the tree line) another single goat stood on the path in front of us and did the same stomp. Apparently they were not happy with all of the hikers. Luckily, we gave them a wide birth and made our way down the mountain without incident. Goats seem to be aggressive this time of year... I didn't see any young with them and I am assuming that it isn't mating season... but who knows.