Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Postby anasarca76 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 pm

RIP... thoughts and prayers to his friends and family

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Alpine Rescue Team wrote:Here are a couple of corrections from our 02:00am original post. It is now understood that our hiker summitted Mt Bierstadt around 10:00am on Tuesday and called his wife from the summit. A second call from the hiker to his wife was made around 12:45 from the summit of Mt Evans but did not go through. It is believed that the hiker was returning to the summit of Mt Bierstadt later that afternoon. From the National Weather Service it is understood that a severe thunderstorm occurred in the area on Tuesday afternoon. Again, we are all saddened by the outcome of this.

RIP Clint. Thanks for this report Alpine Rescue Team, and for all that you do.

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I drove to the Gnuella Pass parking lot in the late afternoon yesterday, hoping to get in a training run up Bierstadt (for Pikes Peak Ascent). It was raining/thundering at 5:30 PM when I got there, so I chatted with some out-of-staters scoping out the route for the next day until the storm cleared a bit. I left the trailhead at 6:30 PM and got to 13K before the clouds started thickening over Evans again, so down I went.

While descending, I saw emergency vehicle lights at the trailhead and I could hear a loudspeaker without being able to understand it. OK, I thought, run down faster then... At the trailhead, I met a deputy sheriff who anxiously asked if I had seen anyone on the trail (I had not) or if I had seen anyone higher up (again, no, and I had been looking up higher because the storm was in that direction). He told me there was a hiker missing and that the route was probably the Sawtooth. I went over the route with the deputy and pointed out where to watch for someone crossing the willows after the descent of the gully on Evans.

I watched the news this morning did not see any mention of it so I went to work happy. I am very sad to come home to this tragic news tonight. My condolences to his family.

Postby unclegar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Very sorry to hear this news. My thoughts, prayers and condolences for the family left behind. We are always one step away from eternity. (we just don't know which step)
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Catbacker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Sincerest condolences to Clint's wife. It's is sickening thinking about what she is going through.

Postby Aug_Dog » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Having done the sawtooth, it gives me pause thinking about what his last moments may have been like caught in a storm on that traverse. May he rest on peace.

Postby JoniBologna » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:37 am

So heartbreaking. RIP Clint.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir

Postby George Kaplan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 am

My condolences to all of his friends and family. RIP. Thank you, SAR for all the hard work you do out there!

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:00 am

this one is really bugging me ... all of these accidents are very sad, but this one is really bugging me for some reason ... it haunted my dreams last night ... very restless night ...
Go get it

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am

Aug_Dog wrote:this one is really bugging me ... all of these accidents are very sad, but this one is really bugging me for some reason ... it haunted my dreams last night ... very restless night ...

It has been bothering me a lot too for some reason, all of last night and this morning. Maybe because myself and a lot of others have done the Sawtooth and it just really hits home. :( I understand that it was only his second 14er - Bierstadt/Sawtooth was also my second 14er.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Billy the Kid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am

I feel so sorry for his wife and family! I hike solo often, and my biggest fear by far is imaging what my wife would go through, if something happened to me. I keep thinking of how exciting their phone call must have been on the top of Beirstadt, and how such an amamzing day had to end like this...it breaks my heart! RIP and peace and I wish the best for his family! :(
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby Tigerbear » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 am

A group of us from salida crossed the sawtooth yesterday and searched also. A very sad outcome.
I want to thank the pilot of the black hawk.. We watched as he hovered very close to the ground to take out the body. All day they searched very close to the walls and ridges. These people are trained incredibly, but thank you for putting yourself a risk to put closure on this.
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

PreviousNext