Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Found- SPOT Beacon on Crestone Needle

Post lost and found items here.

Found- SPOT Beacon on Crestone Needle

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Found a SPOT beacon near the summit of Crestone Needle on 7/8/2012. Please PM me if it is yours.

Re: Found- SPOT Beacon on Crestone Needle

Postby pkripper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:45 pm

There was an earlier post about a lost spot,but I'm not sure which peak it was.

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm

I contacted SPOT by e-mail and they were extremely helpful with locating the owner. Each unit has a serial number behind the batteries and SPOT gave the owner my e-mail. Good route to go if you found a SPOT and the owner is not a 14ers member.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/contactus/index.php

Postby somethingrandom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Now we need to get SPOT to reliably f'ing work!! ](*,)
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby fourseasoncyclist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Hey something. I was thinking about getting a spot locator. What do you not like about it?

Postby bob863 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 pm

My 1st generation SPOT has been working VERY reliably for me for the past three years...I've always been sure to have fresh batteries and to position the SPOT in a "clear" location (no trees or any other obstructions...valleys...etc)...the SPOT needs a "clear" view of the skies above to be able to locate the
satellite(s) that it depends upon...

Postby ptwobbabs » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:37 am

My SPOT messenger has also been working for me in an extremely reliable way, since 2008. I've seen on this forum that a lot of people have complained about it, but mine has always worked. In 4 years, it has never missed a message, all over the US and Alaska. Twice, in four years, the SPOT location has been significantly different from my real location, but both of those were deep in the Grand Canyon, one in 2010 and one in 2012, so I suspect it was the terrain issue. I love mine and highly recommend it. It is a great communication tool, especially if you are typically sending a SPOT to one person, and they learn to interpret your OK message -- ie if it's on a peak at 11 am, I'm probably telling you I summited successfully, and if it's next to an alpine lake at 4 pm, I probably telling you that I'm setting up camp.