Turret/Pigeon to Jupiter Traverse?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Climbdent
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Turret/Pigeon to Jupiter Traverse?

Post by Climbdent »

I have a question for anyone who has gone from Turret/Pigeon over to Chicago Basin to climb Jupiter. Would you go over Noname-Ruby and Twin Thumbs Pass or is their a way to stay on the South of Eolus?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Turret/Pigeon to Jupiter Traverse?

Post by highpilgrim »

I looked down the backside of Eolus into New York Basin and it looked easier than the way we came up from Chicago. A couple of others in our group agreed with the assessment. There was a cairn at the top of the route ascending from NY. I cannot speak to the approach from that side though...So I guess it depends on what your intended routes on Turret/Pigeon are...

Here's a previous thread discussing the New York Basin approach: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5&p=277222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by highpilgrim on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

highpilgrim wrote:I looked down the backside of Eolus into New York Basin and it looked easier than the way we came up from Chicago. A couple of others in our group agreed with the assessment. So I guess it depends on what your intended routes on Turret/Pigeon are...
Except that NY Basin doesn't really put you close to Chi Basin.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

rijaca wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:I looked down the backside of Eolus into New York Basin and it looked easier than the way we came up from Chicago. A couple of others in our group agreed with the assessment. So I guess it depends on what your intended routes on Turret/Pigeon are...
Except that NY Basin doesn't really put you close to Chi Basin.
Just an Eolus away...
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Climbdent wrote:I have a question for anyone who has gone from Turret/Pigeon over to Chicago Basin to climb Jupiter. Would you go over Noname-Ruby and Twin Thumbs Pass or is their a way to stay on the South of Eolus?
Yep, great trip. Here is my trip report. Stick with Twin Thumbs, it's relatively easy.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

I've been to Pigeon/Turret 2x and both have been from NoName/Ruby Pass into Ruby, then out to the Animas. Considered dropping into NY from @ North Eolus area in 2009 but it honestly looked pretty steep...wound up going over Twin Thumbs and wrapping around to NoName/Ruby Pass...much mellower (plus I knew the route already from a 2006 trip). I am not sure where the exit/entrance is to NY...I think lower in Needle Creek. Pigeon is a bit of a haul from Pigeon/Turret saddle because you traverse the entire mountain with a fair amount of elevation gain/loss...but the visit to Ruby is the payoff. Logistics into NY Basin always seemed to be lacking and I could never find Beta.
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

We also noticed a strong climber's trail on the ridge opposite Jupiter. When I look at in in Google earth it crosses the ridge and then traverses along the side opposite New York Basin well down into the valley. It looks like it could be accessed via New York in order to avoid the climb over Eolus.
trail.jpg
trail.jpg (312.71 KiB) Viewed 595 times
high trail.JPG
high trail.JPG (320.55 KiB) Viewed 595 times
The traverse is clear in Google Earth. The route down into New York is not...
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

I'm drawing a blank on the Eolus/NY basin reasoning thing, but I have gone from Ruby to Chicago and back twice, and the route is very straightforward. After P&T, head up the ruby basin, staying left on a decent trail (fairly high left, if memory serves). The trail peters out, but just head up and over the easy ruby pass into a high branch of Noname basin, traverse over to two thumbs pass staying fairly high. Two thumbs pass is steep, but fairly easy, both sides, drop to twin lakes and then into upper chicago basin, hang a left at the main trail, Jupiter is right there. If you need Eolus as well, sure, you can do something fancy there, but going over Eolus from Ruby to get to Jupiter is the hard way, I believe.
Climbdent
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Climbdent »

Ok, thanks for the advice and the Trip Report. I don't need Eolus so going Noname-Ruby to Twin Thumbs and down into Chi Basin seems like the most straight forward route.