Z Prime or Vista Pt?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Z Prime or Vista Pt?

Post by d_baker »

On 13ers.com, "Z Prime" is located where "Vista Pt" is (13,075'), or at least what I thought I knew to be "Vista Pt." Why is that?
Is "Z Prime" (12,980) to the SE of Pk Z?

I glanced quickly at Kramarsic's book, but I don't see a reference to Z Prime. I also thought he had "Vista Pt" in his book, but I don't see that either for 13,075', which is N of "Mt Solitude."
Are these "names" for Vista & Z Prime Roach-ism's?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Z Prime or Vista Pt?

Post by Chicago Transplant »

We've had this conversation before on other sites, I am not sure where the names came from, but if you look at Gerry Roach's site, he has a "Vista Peak" for the 13075 point near Solitude and "Z-Prime" out by Z. From a geographic standpoint, the point out by Peak Z makes sense to be Z-Prime.

Consider the alphabet nomenclature in the Gore: Eagles Nest is "A", then it runs along the ridge out to O (basically looping Black Creek) before coming back to the county boundary and running P to T along the south side of Slate, then coming back again and running U (West Partner) to Z along South Slate.

The location of Vista Point is away from the alphabet ridges and is a part of the "Mt Solitude" Ridge that separates Pitkin Creek from Boulder Creek, so I do not think "Z-Prime" makes sense out there. I think LOJ used to have it as Z-Prime and through some posts on the forum over there we got John to switch it, but he didn't add Vista in its place.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Z Prime as 12,980 makes total sense to me too, Mike.
Maybe Bill can make the change on the 13ers map so it at least syncs up with LoJ. (i.e., 12,980 gets a balloon for "Z Prime"; 13,075' gets a balloon for "Vista Pt")
What do you think Bill?

A descent off Vista using the western slopes works real well, btw. :)
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Just like Deion Sanders, Z-Prime"time" can be in 2 places at one time.
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

d_baker wrote:A descent off Vista using the western slopes works real well, btw. :)
True, but you need to be careful of those microwave sized boulders......damn things have a mind of their own.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

mtnfiend wrote:
d_baker wrote:A descent off Vista using the western slopes works real well, btw. :)
True, but you need to be careful of those microwave sized boulders......damn things have a mind of their own.
Microwave my a$$, that rock was at least the size of a refrigerator. :-"
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I'm looking at a map of the Gores and I don't see any of those peaks. :)

I think one day the USGS will reconsider the custom to not name any peak in a wilderness area. One day the Partner Traverse will be called the Pelosi Traverse.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

rijaca wrote:
mtnfiend wrote:
Microwave my a$$, that rock was at least the size of a refrigerator. :-"
And that was after the "refrigerator" sized rock was split in half by the swat of a hand, from a dude that looks like a cow. Amazing. Saved my life. Thank you, cowman avatar guy.
Plus, it was on a 70* slope. That's really amazing we lived to talk about it on the internet.
Yeah, look at us. ;)
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

d_baker wrote:And that was after the "refrigerator" sized rock was split in half by the swat of a hand, from a dude that looks like a cow. Amazing. Saved my life. Thank you, cowman avatar guy.
Plus, it was on a 70* slope. That's really amazing we lived to talk about it on the internet.
Yeah, look at us.
Ahhh; a BIG SAVE IN THE GORES!!!!!!!!

You should have just Marioed that boulder dude; jump over with a fist pump and a big grin...

...and don't forget your GOPro H2.
Last edited by DeucesWild on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Al LITTLE off topic, but in Ice Lakes Basin does anyone know if that Pt. 13,838 has a name?
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

steelfrog wrote:Al LITTLE off topic, but in Ice Lakes Basin does anyone know if that Pt. 13,838 has a name?
Peak Raven I think.
gore galore
Trip Reports (40)

Post by gore galore »

In the beginning there was C Prime and then the primes multiplied. When Z Prime was conceived a number of years ago it was bounced between Point 13,075 and Point 12,980 on some of the websites. I think Y became involved in the mix also. Z Prime if it is used should rightfully be Point 12,980, SE of Peak Z. "Vista Peak" is a Theron Welch name from 2000. "My hike over to the saddle was awesome. The view of Point 13,075 from this side is absolutely stunning, hence the nickname "Vista" or "Vista Peak"." Thus the ridge above the Pitkin Creek Valley and facing the Boulder Creek Valley sports a peak ("Vista"), a mount ("Solitude") and a point ("Climber's").