St. Mary's Glacier

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

St. Mary's Glacier

Post by snowymountainsrock »

Hello, I am interested in practicing ice axe arrest at St. Mary's glacier to get some experience for future snow climbs and was wondering what the conditions were for the trail to the glacier, the glacier itself and if crampons would be good to bring.
Thanks
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: St. Mary's Glacier

Post by Moraine14 »

Sorry, no clue about current conditions on the "glacier" itself...but I did ice axe practice in May and the approach trail was dry - no crampons/traction needed.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

snowymountainsrock wrote:Hello, I am interested in practicing ice axe arrest at St. Mary's glacier to get some experience for future snow climbs and was wondering what the conditions were for the trail to the glacier, the glacier itself and if crampons would be good to bring.
Thanks
My last time was a few weeks ago so take it for what you will:

-Trail to glacier, snow free.
--Glacier itself, typical (albeit worse than normal) mid-summer ruts, dings, and dents (some of which more than a foot deep)
---Crampons depend on what you are climbing. If you are staying to the right (North) side of the glacier, crampons are rarely required, generally the farther left you go, the steeper, and probably the only moderately decent 'climbing' on the glacier right now, and in no way shape or form a good place to 'learn' self-arrest, you need to know it there!

Probably not what you wanted to hear but thats my opinion of it right now.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I was up there about a month ago, and the approach was bone dry. Like somethingrandom said, the snow is pretty crappy right now. I was able to do a little glissading - about 100 feet worth, and it's much softer and more forgiving than it initially looks with all the ruts. I didn't get very far up the glacier, but you don't really need to if you just want to do some rudimentary glissading... at least that was the case when I was up there. If you do go, just be sure to stay on the climber's right, as was mentioned.
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

Does the time of day matter? Would going really early make for better practice?
Thanks
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

Is the glacier skiable with the current conditions?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I skied it July 8. It's very dirty, but you "can" ski it.

http://otinasadventures.com/index.php?t ... ys_glacier
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

with all the warm weather and low snow this year i would think it's just a matter of time before it disappears during the summer...doesn't look too bad right now at least.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

ajkagy wrote:with all the warm weather and low snow this year i would think it's just a matter of time before it disappears during the summer...doesn't look too bad right now at least.
Do you think it will be alright in very early August?
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

snowymountainsrock wrote:
ajkagy wrote:with all the warm weather and low snow this year i would think it's just a matter of time before it disappears during the summer...doesn't look too bad right now at least.
Do you think it will be alright in very early August?
it will be alright in August, although it will be interesting to see what it looks like by late Sept before major snow comes.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

Alright,
Thanks for all your input.
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

Sorry, but I have one more question. Would you recomend bringing a helmet?