Mont Blanc Avalanche

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Mont Blanc Avalanche

Post by pkripper »

As reported from ABC news...
An avalanche in the French Alps on Thursday swept six climbers to their deaths, left at least nine injured and about a dozen others unaccounted for, authorities said. Rescuers are searching for the missing.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Mont Blanc Avalanche

Post by jimlup »

Yikes! You never know when something big is going to let go... damn!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ju ... itons-dead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly, this happens all the time in the summer on Mt. Blanc.

The first time I was there an old guide told me "if the french guides aren't climbing, don't climb."
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/stor ... 56161618/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

What horrible news. Sounds like they were headed to Mont Blanc via the three monts traverse when the serac broke off causing the avalanche. For those not familiar with the area, I think the accident happened on the left side of this photo (taken last summer).
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Really really tragic. My condolences to all the friends & families.

Carl, I believe you are correct. The bottom left side or bottom center of your picture on Maudit.

I also saw this video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18815088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At 0:57, there is a brief view up Maudit and you can see the debris field with searchers in about the area of the picture you point out.

I remember hurrying thru this section on our descent a few years ago looking up at those seracs...a bit unnerving.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Carl wrote:What horrible news. Sounds like they were headed to Mont Blanc via the three monts traverse when the serac broke off causing the avalanche. For those not familiar with the area, I think the accident happened on the left side of this photo (taken last summer).
That is just one pile of nasty with a hair trigger... RIP to all the climbers involved who perished and a safe recovery to those who survived.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

For what it's worth...Wikipedia says Mont Blanc averages 100 fatalities/year... Not saying that Wiki is the best source, here, btw.
devo
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by devo »

We were planning on doing the 3 monts route a couple of weeks ago, but after talking to the local guides, the route wasn't very consolidated yet and they were having trouble with ice breaking off and sliding so we took the Gouter route. Very sad for everyone involved.
jjust
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjust »

Odd time of the day for an avalanche. Sounds like icefall from higher up likely triggered the avalanche. We climbed this route last year. Here is another photo of the headwall where it occurred similar to the one posted above.

robby40
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robby40 »

Telegraph UK - some were avoiding that route:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... imber.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

Is there a safer route on this mountain? Looking at a slope like that I'd pass and do something else.

Don't want to exit the planet any sooner than I have to.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;