Hikes near Steamboat Spring

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
moff
14ers: 52 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Hikes near Steamboat Spring

Post by moff »

Hello, I will be in Steamboat for the weekend and plan to get a hike in while i'm there. Any thoughts on some good hikes in that area? Thanks.
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hikes near Steamboat Spring

Post by sad2 »

Try Hahns Peak.

http://www.summitpost.org/hahns-peak/153540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Another one is the Zirkel Circle.

1. The Zirkel Circle, Steamboat Springs. You may think, Steamboat Springs, that's too far to go for a hike, but it's just three hours from Denver and this hike is a must do. The 11.2 mile trek is a loop hike so the scenery is always new and it features two spectacular alpine lakes, scenic meadows, a waterfall and numerous cascades.

http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-fi ... ou-must-do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

How long and what difficulty? There are literally dozens of choices within the immediate area. The Sawtooth Range is the most spectacular.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
moff
14ers: 52 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by moff »

I was hoping to do a Class 3 (or Class 2 would be good too), and a hike that was between 5 and 10 miles would be ideal. Thanks for the feedback.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I was hoping to do a Class 3 (or Class 2 would be good too), and a hike that was between 5 and 10 miles would be ideal.
The Sawtooth Range will probably be too long then. Devils Causeway and Big Agnes Peak would be good alternatives and are among the most spectacular hikes in that area, though they are 10-11 miles. I'd highly recommend both.

Short hikes would be Sand Mountain or Hahns Peak (see above).

The Zirkle Circle (as mentioned above) or Mica Lake would be really good non-summit hikes. Dome Lake is my favorite lake in the region, but the trail has mostly been given back to nature, so it requires some route-finding.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
wypatt
14ers: 12  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wypatt »

Not exactly class 3 but you can get some exposure and see some incredible views on the Devils Causeway.

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2008 ... /?outdoors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Consider Rabbit Ears Pass. When I lived in Steamboat we spent a lot of time up there. Not terribly far from town. Beautiful country. Great views.
-km