Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 am

My avatar is at Blues & Brews in Telluride in 2008. I have great memories from attending the festival itself and the 14ers we would usually climb around those trips. Need to get back there!

My signature is Belle Turnbull, a Colorado poet who wrote in the years between 1915 and 1965. I read about her in a book called "Those Magnificant Mountain Women." I feel connected to the poem because it's sometimes hard for me to fully explain my love of the mountains (and why I drag my butt on 5+ hour hikes over scree and rocks and actually enjoy it!). :D Plus, the women who are featured in the book are inspiring to me.

The second quote is a reminder to keep trying, or to try new approaches to obstacles or problems. Seriously, nothing is more embarrassing than someone doing something you said couldn't be done!

When I registered I didn't realize my actual name would be my "handle." I've tossed around some names but they always seem meaningless or dorky to me after more thought. Maybe someday I'll come up with one...
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby haybo01 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 am

My avatar is me on the summit of Princeton, June 2009. This was a memorable hike for me for several reasons that I won’t bore you with here. You also gotta love the sweatshirt from my alma mater, the Fighting Sioux of the University of North Dakota!!! Never have taken the time to choose a signature. My screen name is a play on my real name, Bob Hay.

Postby Dinzy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:00 pm

My avatar is a picture of myself after I was dropped off on the summit of Mt. Belford by an Army Blackhawk helicopter. We were on a search for two lost hikers. Easiest (and quickest) 14er ever! Ok, I suppose that is kind of cheating...

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Dinzy wrote:My avatar is a picture of myself after I was dropped off on the summit of Mt. Belford by an Army Blackhawk helicopter. We were on a search for two lost hikers. Easiest (and quickest) 14er ever! Ok, I suppose that is kind of cheating...

Hopefully you bagged Oxford real quick too? :lol: #-o
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby prestone818 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

prestone818 wrote:......

Your explanation is as telling as your avatar is!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby HighCountry » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:04 pm

My avatar is a shot taken during the ascent of Redcloud for the first time. The signature is a quote from one of a small list of people I consider to be very influential in my life. Muir and Thoreau showed me that there were other people who felt the same way, and that it was okay to follow their path.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.

Postby Shasta Locales » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I had to think about this one and make it right. (Like anyone cares)

Our (yes our) avatar is me and my wife on top of Mt McLoughlin in Oregon - a winter ascent. If you look super closely, which you probably can't because its so tiny, you can see Mt. Shasta, our favorite mountain and our Home Mountain, behind us.

We have been going to Colorado every summer since 2007 to climb the 14ers, which we love much more than 14ers here in California (except Shasta). The rest of the California 14ers are all desert-y and kinda ugly, and the Colorado 14ers are clearly superior in almost every way.

Also it gives me an excuse to visit my 101 year old Grandpa who lives in Grand Junction every year. He'll be 102 November 1st.

We've climbed 40 14ers (we're doing the 58 list) so far. I never know which year might be the last, so we might be slowing down a little because he is still going strong.

Maybe too much information. I do most of the posting, but we share the account.

I don't know how many other couples have done the 14ers, but we do them all together, and its very special to us as a couple.

Thanks for reading my post, even though I know few will.

Postby gsliva » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:53 am

I read it and enjoyed your thoughts. Thanks for posting.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Sarge » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 pm

My regular hiking buddies seem to end up with nicknames. Tire-iron, Boobert, Choo-Choo, Newbob, Deder, Chopper, Corndog, Ginger and more. I thought I would use the nickname they tagged me with here so the avatar was a natural result of that. The signature is a line out of the sci-fi classic "Bladerunner". My reminder of the transitory reality of life and earthly joy.
All these moments will be lost in time.... like tears in rain.

Previous