Monarch Pass to Mt Ouray

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Monarch Pass to Mt Ouray

Post by boudreaux »

Does anyone know the distance to Mt Ouray from Monarch Pass along the Continental Divide? How about some road conditions along Marshall Pass Rd from the east to Grays Creek TH? Will be heading up there in mid July. Has anyone ever climbed directly up the bowl to the summit, it looks interesting, some of those shoots on the left side look doable.
Ragin Cajun
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Monarch Pass to Mt Ouray

Post by rijaca »

Beau, the Marshall Pass road is passenger car friendly if you go slow (potholes and washboard). I gotta believe that bowl is full of loose stuff and not a lot of fun to climb. The east ridge route is supposed to go thru a cool bristlecone forest. There's a cool cabin near the top of Marshall Pass that you can stay in (first come-first serve).
cabin.small.jpg
cabin.small.jpg (71.2 KiB) Viewed 824 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
anasarca76
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

I cannot comment on the length from Monarch Pass to Mt. Ouray; however I went up to Marshall Pass from highway 285 on May 20th and it was dry as a bone. I took the ridge up from Marshall Pass which was a fun hike/climb, but not sure about the doability of a bowl directly..
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Thks Ricky, I think the Grays Creek TH is looking like the place to go, but I will make some decisions once I get to the Devil's Armchair. I was thinking that too, maybe a rib or two can get me up there to avoid the fun stuff. Hopefully someone has some info on the ridge run from Monarch Pass.

Good to know the road is passable and dry Anasarca76, thks for that info!
Ragin Cajun
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Once tried this route many years ago with high hopes but started too late to get very far. Sidestepped Monarch Crest and only got to Pahlone Peak before turning back. I would like to know if anyone has attempted this because it would be a dandy hike for a trip report.

Otherwise, rijaca's suggestions about Marshall Pass look good from here. Have fun.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

Grey's Creek Trail is more defined late in the season. It may have some tree downfall after the microbursts that hit the valley last nov.
The white rib in the bowl looks interesting. I have Used Grays Creek Th into the bristlecone bowl, up the NE ridge and down the SE ridge for Tour de Ouray!
It would be a good way to scout the ribs to climb in the bowl..
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

Just some beta on the Gray's Creek trail as I hiked it a couple weeks ago . . . there is quite a bit of downfall but nothing that will slow you down very much. Trail is easy to follow all the way to the bristlecone forest. Made it to the trailhead in my civic without an issue, road got a little rougher after that (I only went about a half mile past) but still passable. The small parking area for the trailhead is shortly before a small (easy to miss) sign that says Gray's Creek.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Monarch Pass to the Little Cochetopa Creek Trail turn off is 7.8 miles, from that point I am not sure what the milage to the top of Mount Ouray would be but it's under 2 miles.

Follow the Continental divide trail until it joins the Colorado Trail at mile 5.
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG (164.1 KiB) Viewed 658 times
View of UN 13,472, Chipeta Mountain (12,850') and Mount Ouray.
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG (113.33 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Turn right at this intersection. (The Green Creek Shelter is just east of here. It is first come, first serve but would be a good place to set up base camp if you're planning on spending a few days there. Water is 0.3 miles away along the Green Creek Trail)
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG (179.78 KiB) Viewed 658 times
See next post for more pictures...
Last edited by dehrlich101 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
dehrlich101
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

At mile 7.8, turn left at the Little Cochetopa Trail intersection. Gain the ridge between Mount Ouray and Chipeta Mountain, and traverse over to Mount Ouray.
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG (189.16 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Hope this helps.. Nat Geos La Garita/Cochetopa Hills Map #139 shows the route really well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Daniel
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

LOJ
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Thanks Daniel, I have been thinking of riding my bike from Monarch Pass to Ouray as one of many options. I could see the tire tracks in some of the pictures. Hopefully that day will be a clear day for a long ridge run like this. I have estimated it may be around 9 miles one way. I was thinking of getting #139, I'll have to get it on your recommendation! I guess the elevation gain/loss on the ridge would be good to know?
Ragin Cajun
dehrlich101
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

boudreaux wrote:Thanks Daniel, I have been thinking of riding my bike from Monarch Pass to Ouray as one of many options. I could see the tire tracks in some of the pictures. Hopefully that day will be a clear day for a long ridge run like this. I have estimated it may be around 9 miles one way. I was thinking of getting #139, I'll have to get it on your recommendation! I guess the elevation gain/loss on the ridge would be good to know?
Sorry I cannot help you on the elevation gain/loss on the whole ridge.. The Little Cochetopa Trail intersection is at 11814', from there the gain would be 2157' to Mount Ouray maybe a little bit more if there is some ups and downs. Biking to this trailhead would be an excellent idea.

LOJ
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

The distance from Monarch Pass to Marshall Pass is 10 miles along the CDT, thought I'd share this.
Ragin Cajun