Mount Rainier - Emmons Glacier Accident

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: Mount Rainier - Emmons Glacier Accident

Postby 14erFred » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:56 pm

May Nick rest in peace forever.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 pm

csmcgranahan wrote:A friend and I summitted via the Emmons Route this past Thursday morning. On our descent we watched the Chinook helicopter and other rangers perform the body recovery from above. RIP Nick.

This is the Chinook as it came around Little Tahoma Peak on the way to the recovery.
There are signs and notices posted all over the place at Paradise and in Ashford pertaining to his loss and the effect it has on the community. RIP, indeed.
IMG_2821.jpg
IMG_2821.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 492 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby csmcgranahan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 pm

We paused on our decent as the Chinook hovered over the crevasse to perform the recovery. There were only eight people on the Emmons route at the time that I know of and two of them were rangers. I was happy to see them complete the operation for the family to have closure but it was a little unnerving to watch knowing he fell from the very slopes we were on.

Postby nkan02 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:16 am

csmcgranahan wrote:A friend and I summitted via the Emmons Route this past Thursday morning. On our descent we watched the Chinook helicopter and other rangers perform the body recovery from above. RIP Nick.

From what we heard when we were up there, his body was avalanched on shortly after the accident and the rescue teams could not access it due to severe weather conditions that lasted about a week following the accident. We met a number of rescue people on the mountain who could not do anything for about a week due to storms.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 am

CAF wrote:Nice post on the man, Nick Hall, http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/.
Anyone that climbed thru Muir or Schurman over the past few years more than likely ran in to Nick.
RIP

I just now read this article that you posted - thanks so much for adding that. Nick sounds like a remarkable man, and he sounds like a lot of people we know, too.

Sometimes we talk about accidents and forget this is human beings we're talking about. What a tragic loss.

Previous