Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

colony lakes 4wd

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: colony lakes 4wd

Postby Iguru » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:58 pm

I was up there last Sept. in my Cherokee, and although it is slightly modified, stock Cherokees would have no problem with making it all the way to the upper parking lot.
I saw full size pickups up there, and don't think they had too much problem. You should be OK, with 4WD.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby metalmountain » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I was up there this past weekend. It seems a lot worse than it was last year in my opinion. But you should still be able to make it just fine with a stock 4wd if you throw it into 4 low. There isn't so much a problem with high centering as it is with it being pretty loose and eroded in a few steeper spots.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 am

I didn't think that road was bad at all

Postby upndown » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:05 am

We were up there two weeks ago in a stock F150 4x4 - there's only one spot I even put it in 4x4 and that's a hump going up the steep incline 1/4 mile past the lower trailhead. And, (I just wish I would have taken a picture!) as we were coming out, I did a double-take at what looked to be a brand new Volvo S60 that made it up ALL of that!
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Postby metalmountain » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:53 am

upndown wrote:We were up there two weeks ago in a stock F150 4x4 - there's only one spot I even put it in 4x4 and that's a hump going up the steep incline 1/4 mile past the lower trailhead. And, (I just wish I would have taken a picture!) as we were coming out, I did a double-take at what looked to be a brand new Volvo S60 that made it up ALL of that!

Really depends on what your are driving and how much you like your transmission, engine, suspension and undercarriage. I saw 2 separate vehicles over heated on that road last weekend. While I can't say I know the exact cause, I can speculate. Some vehicles, like my old 4cyl 4runner, don't like really steep roads in 4 high or 2wd and will over heat pretty quickly in that scenario. 4 low lets my engine stay at a low RPM and still have some torque. I saw some guys trying to get their new Xterra up a steep part of the road by standing on the bumper and running boards in an effort to get traction. When I said "hey, throw it in 4 low and it will go right up" they looked at each other like "Ohhhhh yeah!", and then they popped it in and zoomed right up. I just think you are doing your vehicle a favor by throwing into the lowest gear possible and not beating the crap out of it. 4wd (especially 4wd low) also gear things down so you don't have to ride your brakes all the way down the road. Which is one of the biggest reason I will throw mine in 4low even when its not needed for traction.

But hey, its not my repair bill/towing bill. While you could get a car to the top, that doesn't mean its good for your vehicle. You're not probably not going to puncture a oil pan or anything like that in most cases at least on this road.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby ihaveagps » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 am

I was up there last week. That road is very easy, any stock 4x4 should be just fine. I didnt even have to put it in 4 wheel drive the whole way up to the trailhead. Of course it helps that its a Jeep Wrangler. The water crossing at the end was only 4-5 inches deep.

Cheers!
Ihaveagps

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 am

upndown wrote:We were up there two weeks ago in a stock F150 4x4 - there's only one spot I even put it in 4x4 and that's a hump going up the steep incline 1/4 mile past the lower trailhead. And, (I just wish I would have taken a picture!) as we were coming out, I did a double-take at what looked to be a brand new Volvo S60 that made it up ALL of that!

similar deal for me ... we saw two trashy dudes driving up (they were at least two miles up the road) in a freaking beat up, old Beretta. It was mind-blowing.
Go get it

Postby bonehead » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:29 am

mickster wrote:How far of a hike to the lakes?

I was up there yesterday.
From S. Colony road it's a little over 2 miles
on the Rainbow Trail to the N. Colony Lakes trail.
Another 3 or so to the first lake and then a mile or more of smaller lakes.
Quite spectacular setting.
And for all the BS about the road,
decide for yourself when you get there.
I value my truck way too much to subject it to the punishment.

Postby upndown » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 pm

metalmountain wrote:... I just think you are doing your vehicle a favor by throwing into the lowest gear possible and not beating the crap out of it. 4wd (especially 4wd low) also gear things down so you don't have to ride your brakes all the way down the road. Which is one of the biggest reason I will throw mine in 4low even when its not needed for traction.
You're 100% correct - no disagreement. And I always drive out in 4wd low - a lot easier on the suspension in addition to the brakes. The only reason I hesitated to put mine into 4wd low this time is last year, it wouldn't go back into 2wd when I was done. Turns out it was a vacuum actuator malfunction, but I had to drive it in 4wd low on dry pavement to get it fixed. I tested it after they fixed it, and it seemed to go in and out just fine, but this was the first time I had to use it since that incident and I was having flashbacks. As it turns out, it worked just fine.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Postby steelfrog » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Last year I drove a Ford Regency full sized van all the way to within 100 yards of the upper 4wd trailhead with 6 souls on board...

Postby 4HClimber » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:14 pm

I didn't think you could drive to the upper trailhead past the rainbow trailhead any more??

Postby zdero1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:23 pm

The main obstacle to the 4wd TH, as upndown said, is a steep part about 0.6-0.7mi past 2wd TH. I know we are talking about the same thing but I have a different mileage. You'll know it when you get there. Going up, I stayed to the right hugging the dirt wall beside me and made it up just fine in my stock Forester with 8.7" ground clearance.

With respect to the previous post, Rainbow Trial is used to access the snow route, and S. Colony Lakes is used to access the standard routes of Humbolt and the Crestones to the best of me knowledge. S. Colony closed at the 4wd TH and is gated. About 2.7 miles one way to the lake.

Next