Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

June 2012

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

June 2012

Postby Kane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Well there goes June. The wildfires just killed my motivation for the mountains in June. The smoke just wipes out the natural color and clarity of the mountains.

My big trip was supposed to have been in the Gore Range. I had it planned out until I got to the Gores that morning and the smoke was just too depressing for all the summit shooting I had planned. I immediately called my brother in Glenwood and asked if I could head west away from the smoke and basecamp out of his house. I went with an idea that I wanted to shoot inside a forest of trees, where smoke wouldn’t impede my images. Kebler Pass came to mind. Thus the few images I submitted a week ago. Overall I really enjoyed my 24 hrs in the Kebler Pass area; so much so that I will return next spring. Kebler has a special place in my heart and I don’t think I’ll ever stop going there. I just love the ample free camping, lack of crowds and most of all those crazy stands of aspens. Big Aspens too, often too big to even get my arms around. I suppose I’m a bit of tree hugger? So be it!!!

After Kebler, I spent the night at my brothers and decided on a trip up to Snowmass Lake to climb UN12, 902, a rarely climbed twelver that resides on the rim of jagged spires that surrounds the Pierre Lakes Basin. This rim of rock harbors great mountains like Capitol Peak, Snowmass Mountain and Clark Peak.

My objective was a sunrise shot of Capitol Peak and Snowmass Mountain in optimal light along the skinny ridge. I chose to scout out the route that evening to lay a track with my gps so I could make the summit in the dark the next morning. I made the summit and the composition just didn’t do it for me. I knew I would be coming back up here in 10 hrs. I was basically beat up tired after a 8 mile backpack, and 2 mile climb totaling 4,900-ft. I would sleep in the next morning.

However, while the sun set I was privileged to watch our Great Maroon Bells from a very different perspective sink into darkness from about the least visited place I know.

I shot 9 vertical images to stitch into a pano format. I used a pano head which is a invaluable tool for these kinds of scenes.

The next morning I packed my tent and backpacked up to the Trail rider Pass area and set up a tent at 12,000-ft in the tundra. That evening I climbed a snowfield into east Fravert Basin area and looked for a tarn to set up an evening shoot. BTW Fravert Basin is about 12 miles from the closest dirt road let alone paved road. It felt great just getting away, back into my beloved Elk Mountains...

So there goes June, its time for Wildflowers!

Here's my June Gallery.

http://www.kaephotography.com/gallery/june/

Re: June 2012

Postby zoomie83 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Just beautful!

Postby Mark Curtis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Amazing shots, Kane. =D> And thanks for sharing this description of your trip......one can certainly tell how passionate you are about your craft! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm

LOVE the Maroon Bells/Pyramid shot.
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby Scott P » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Nice shots!

I know what you mean about the smoke messing up photos. We didn't get nearly the quality shots that I had hoped to from Pyramid.

I think this wildflower season is going to be short.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.