Gannett Peak Climb July 4-8

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainfreak241
Trip Reports (0)

Gannett Peak Climb July 4-8

Post by mountainfreak241 »

Hey there! I am planning a climb of Gannett Peak July 4-8.

Route is semi-technical, some glacier travel and 3rd class.

Planning leaving Denver Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

Let me know if you are interested!
"I go to the Wind Rivers, more than the other ranges I know, to experience mountains in their totality." - Joe Kelsey
Bethie
14ers: 58 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Gannett Peak Climb July 4-8

Post by Bethie »

Please post the route conditions when you return (and which route you took!). Hope you had a great trip! THANKS!!
Beth
"Wherever you go, there you are..."
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Gannett Peak Climb July 4-8

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Bethie--I just got back from a climb of Gannett via the Ink Wells route; a trip report is forthcoming. In short, conditions are perfect right now, but I would move on doing Gannett ASAP, as things are melting fast up there and it's a low snow year. The eastern approaches were essentially snow-free to around 12000'. As of June 30, the 'schrund has a very solid and wide snowbridge on the left gully, though it's already open on the right gully; don't know how long it'll last, but my guess would be a few weeks. After these gullies, you can stay on rock and dirt 99% of the time to the south end of the 0.2 mile summit ridge. The summit ridge is virtually entirely a snow route still, with easier flat sections and scarier sidehill sections with some exposure; the last lengthy sidehill before the summit rocks was around 35 degrees. PM me if you have any other questions!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks