Grizzly Peak A N Ridge & PT13090 S ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Grizzly Peak A N Ridge & PT13090 S ridge

Post by geojed »

Anyone know if the N ridge of Grizzly Peak A is doable? This is the ridge on the W side of grizzly gulch/couloir. From sat photos it almost looks like there is a use trail on the ridge.

Also, what about the S ridge of PT13090 from W Truro?

Thx
mennoguy
14ers: 43 
13ers: 339
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Grizzly Peak A N Ridge & PT13090 S ridge

Post by mennoguy »

I was just on Grizzly Peak Monday, however I didn't study the N ridge.

A few years ago I did the W Truro to 13090 traverse, it wasn't too difficult, just a few class 3 moves and not much exposure. I recommend climbing these from Truro Creek and not Tabor Creek as I did, the descent to the valley was on unpleasant steep hard pan dirt and scree.
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Thx for the response. Does Truro Creek have a good trail?
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

geojed wrote:Thx for the response. Does Truro Creek have a good trail?
I was going to ask the same. From the quads, it appears there *was* a trail, but it was not maintained? Is crossing Lincoln Creek for the approach to Truro Lake a problem?
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Truro Creek to Truro Lake does have a trail. The trail has not been maintained over the years and can be hard to follow in areas. As your suspected, Lincoln Creek is a bit tricky to cross. I think I ended up taking my boots off and wading across.

The ridge between W-Truro and 13,090 is easy with some very minor class 3, if that. The traverse from W-Truro to Truro however is hard. I might have taken the wrong side of the ridge on the W-Truro/Truro traverse and the way I took went at class 4. There are some nasty notches in that ridge.
RyanSchilling
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Thanks Derek! I climbed Truro & West Truro a few years ago, and had been wondering if a visit to Truro Lake would be a viable way to climb 13090. :D
mennoguy
14ers: 43 
13ers: 339
Trip Reports (44)

Post by mennoguy »

What Derek said, a "trail" is marked on the map, but it is still the shortest way to climb 13090, and probably the best way if you want to climb Truro and W Truro.
RyanSchilling
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

mennoguy wrote:What Derek said, a "trail" is marked on the map, but it is still the shortest way to climb 13090, and probably the best way if you want to climb Truro and W Truro.
Galena Creek is very viable for the Truros, as well, while providing access to some of the area's other peaks, like Larson.
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

So no one with beta on Grizzly's N Ridge? That's too bad. I've only found pics of that ridge from a KBaker TR taken from across the valley on PT13090, Tabor.

Hmm... :-k :-k
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

I've climbed the north west ridge 15 years ago.
So my memory is a bit vague. I recall we had to move to the west face and climbed up in a gully. I recall it being loose and unpleasant. When we got to the top of the gully, we were on the wrong summit. One of the guys had a short rope that we used to drop down onto the standard route. We came up from the Grizzly lake basin and getting back down was difficult

Rich
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Thx for the info. I had sorta figured I'd have to take that gully.