Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Post by ajkagy »

kansas wrote:
dswink wrote:So, newpaper reporters determine the only worthwhile discussion and learning from climbing-related tragedies?
So after reading it, this is the conclusion you came to?

I suggest you reread it and apply some reading comprehension skills. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, but personally, I think Steve is spot on with this. You've been around here long enough to know that every time this forum tries to analyze an accident it turns into a sh!tshow of epic proportions, doing more harm than good.
+1 ...the guy lost his life, but there are always people who are going to over analyze things. Give a little sensitivity to family and friends. It's one thing to learn from a mistake when people find out what really happened, but it's another to speculate in a disrespectful manner.

My condolences to the family and friends
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Vids wrote:
dswink wrote:So, newpaper reporters determine the only worthwhile discussion and learning from climbing-related tragedies?
No, the family does. Obviously they aren't interested in talking about it or they would be on here or the FB page telling people the details. The only reason people like to guess about what happened is morbid curiousity. Frankly, I'm curious too, but it's none of my damn business so I don't need to know what happened. I recommend letting the family grieve in peace and keep the speculation to yourself, it accomplishes nothing.

My condolences to the family, I was following the story like everyone else and had hoped to hear a better outcome. RIP
+1... couldn't have said it better. These threads are driven by morbid curiousity.. I can't say I'm not curious and I haven't speculated, but it's disrespectful to the family to speculate on a public forum. How would you feel if your son's/brother's/father's death was being picked apart like this...

Let it go...

Sorry to the family.. I hope you can find peace eventually.. Joe seemed like such a young guy. So sad.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

This unfortunate event is a bit different than others discussed on this site in that the family directly sought help through 14ers.com. At that point, we at 14ers.com had somewhat of a vested interest in the outcome. In a sense, the family "opened the door" to a higher level of curiosity among our members. I'll keep my opinions as to what happened to myself but I don't necessarily fault mattpayne11 for his post once the flow of information was turned off. Perhaps the family will open up to our members as time passes.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

gdthomas wrote:This unfortunate event I believe is a bit different than others discussed on this site in that the family directly sought help through 14ers.com. At that point, we at 14ers.com had somewhat of a vested interest in the outcome. In a sense, the family "opened the door" to a higher level of curiosity among our members. I'll keep my opinions as to what happened to myself but I don't necessarily fault mattpayne11 for his post once the flow of information was turned off. Perhaps the family will open up to our members as time passes.
+1
I'm slower than Scott P.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I fall a lot wrote:Matt Payne11

Perhaps speculation should be kept to yourself and not the forum, just food for thought.
+1. Seems to be a pattern for the King of Payne.
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

gdthomas wrote:This unfortunate event is a bit different than others discussed on this site in that the family directly sought help through 14ers.com. At that point, we at 14ers.com had somewhat of a vested interest in the outcome. In a sense, the family "opened the door" to a higher level of curiosity among our members. I'll keep my opinions as to what happened to myself but I don't necessarily fault mattpayne11 for his post once the flow of information was turned off. Perhaps the family will open up to our members as time passes.
I agree they sought out help from the 14ers community, but they only sought help to locate his car and where he may have been hiking. From what I've read it appears that the people on here did serve a role in locating his car, and then SAR took over from there. Whatever else happened is between SAR and the family, whether or not they want anyone to know the specifics is only up to them.

I understand the curiousity, it's just human nature. However, it is a better decision now to just keep speculation to yourself and not discuss it publicly when none of us have any clue what really happened.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I was not speculating, I was just saying that I don't think there is any reason to believe that this was a mountaineering accident. The lack of information was what I was commenting on. It did strike me as odd too that there are no reports etc. And in regards to this timeless debate of whether or not its kosher to have discussions about dead people - I'll just have to say that most people I talk to find it invaluable to have these discussions once the timing is appropriate. I don't want to have that discussion on this thread. Save it for later.

I'll leave it at that.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Wow. I feel a little responsible for this one spiraling into oblivion. Not my intent. My simple curiosity was toward the media or lack there of.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

[quote="RoanMtnMan"]Wow. I feel a little responsible for this one spiraling into oblivion. Not my intent.[/quote]

My apologies too, if there was any disrespect taken. My condolences for the family's loss.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

RoanMtnMan wrote:Wow. I feel a little responsible for this one spiraling into oblivion. Not my intent. My simple curiosity was toward the media or lack there of.
Don't feel bad. Some people here are pretty quick to read into people's posts and look for negative intent or to find some way to stir the pot or belittle others, that's the nature of the internet. As soon as you put a computer screen between two people, all social order goes out the window along with your ability to read body language, hear voice inflection, or to inquire about someone's reasoning for writing something. Some just assume you're on some mission to make others miserable or to destroy people's dignity. Of course, they never actually ask you what your intent is. That would be too civil and quite boring.

My first comment was just in response to the question about this not being on the news.

My guess is that there are good reasons we have not seen it on the news. Theory - not a climbing/hiking related incident or wildlife or foul play etc. - perhaps suicide, perhaps something else... therefore not something the news would want to report on (and perhaps something the family would prefer not to be in the news either). Again - just my guesses as to why there is no news coverage here. We'll find out someday (or not).

Either way - I am sure the family and friends would like some time to greive and if / when they do provide information it will be enlightening for us all. Let's all be thankful that this was not another 2 year missing person situation.