Mt. Ouray-Gray's Creek TH questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Mt. Ouray-Gray's Creek TH questions

Post by huffy13 »

I am wondering if anyone has detailed information concerning the directions to get to Gray's Greek TH as well as what kind of conditions I might run into. I am wanting to take my son and his cross country teams on a hike of Mt. Ouray this summer since our team hike of Pikes Peak last summer was such a great success. Any information is appreciated. Looks like we will be in at least 2 Stock Chevy trucks, a Chevy Tahoe and my Chevy Blazer....so clearance might be an issue if that road is bad.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Re: Mt. Ouray-Gray's Creek TH questions

Post by Greenhouseguy »

It's a well-maintained dirt road, so clearance is not an issue. Passenger cars can make it easily. This GPS track show where the TH is; you will see a small sign fro Grays Creek just before you get there.

There is a pullout with enough room for a few cars, but the TH is not the most obvious. This is what you'll see:

It's really one of the nicer Centennial 13ers, so enjoy!
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

I hiked Ouray via Gray's Creek last month. As Greenhouseguy says, you won't have any problems getting to the trailhead (my Civic did just fine). However, a minor correction: the small Gray's Creek sign is just *after* the trailhead parking area, not before -- unless there's another one before it that I didn't see. As far as the trail goes, it is fairly easy to follow all the way to treeline. From there to the ridge crest there are occasional cairns, but it's probably best to just take the path of least resistance to the ridge. Once on the ridge you should be able to regain the trail. There are quite a few downed trees on the first half of the trail but nothing that is time consuming to get around. Hope this helps!
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Thanks, Mike!
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

I can't seem to find it now, but I thought I saw mention of this winter's blowdown event affecting Grays Creek, as well?
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

I'll look for mention of it too...hopefully it is all cleared out by mid-late August
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Found it:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Thanks, Reinhold...I will ask for info as the time gets closer and see if anyone has more timely info next month...we will be staying close enough that we could just head up the road and get Princeton. I need that one also. Hell, just a few days to get away from the Panhandle heat is the main reason we enjoy this trip.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Dave Cooper's description (http://davecooperoutdoors.com/page53.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
Getting to the Trailhead: From Poncha Springs, drive south on US285 for 5.1 miles to Chaffee County Road 200. Turn right on CR200 (signed to Marshall Pass) and drive 2.3 miles to an intersection. Turn right at this intersection, again signed to Marshall Pass and drive 0.9 miles to another intersection. Turn right again on the Marshall Pass road. From this intersection the Grays Creek trailhead is 4.3 miles at a sharp left hand bend, while the Marshall Pass trailhead parking is reached after 10.5 miles.
It's a great hike, enjoy!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Jim Davies wrote:Dave Cooper's description (http://davecooperoutdoors.com/page53.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
Getting to the Trailhead: From Poncha Springs, drive south on US285 for 5.1 miles to Chaffee County Road 200. Turn right on CR200 (signed to Marshall Pass) and drive 2.3 miles to an intersection. Turn right at this intersection, again signed to Marshall Pass and drive 0.9 miles to another intersection. Turn right again on the Marshall Pass road. From this intersection the Grays Creek trailhead is 4.3 miles at a sharp left hand bend, while the Marshall Pass trailhead parking is reached after 10.5 miles.
It's a great hike, enjoy!

Thank you, Jim.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I'll be hiking Ouray next week on the 16th and will give you an update!
Ragin Cajun
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Thanks!