Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Post by wildlobo71 »

Kim, there is indeed a Grizzly Gulch TH at Grays and Torrey's Peak, not exactly the same area as Gray's Peak TH... It might just be considered the lower parking lot, but there are two Grizzly Gulch THs listed for that area, as well as Gray's Peak TH, which used to be Steven's Gulch TH... I'm fairly certain it was at this, and not the Handies Peak, Grizzly Gulch the vehicle was found.

Edit - I know the TH now, it's the lower right turnoff about 1/4 mile up towards the Gray's peak TH... You access Emperor Couloir or the backside for Kelso that way.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

OneArmSteve wrote:So SAR is actively searching the area for him then?
We got some pretty decent rain storms yesterday evening here in Evergreen...I can only assume they got the same storm up there.
Still seems like the details are pretty lacking....
The family is in contact with Clear Creek Sheriff's office - I can only assume that they are investigating first and them will set up something with county SAR and possibly Summit County since it's right there as well. We just don't know too many details right now.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
camillefox2112
Trip Reports (0)

Post by camillefox2112 »

it was indeed his car i and my companions found yesterday; the family drove up there late last night and found it after i spoke to a family member and told them more about where we'd seen it, they then contacted the authorities. today presumably SAR and the sheriff's office are combing the area. i'd think they don't want a bunch of people wanting to come and help and end up getting lost or in trouble themselves, though it's tempting. the best/most current info seems to be on the facebook page.

best wishes to the family...
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

OneArmSteve wrote:
Thanks to Camille's tip the search is over. He has been found. Thank you everyone for how quickly you were all willing to help out. The family really appreciates it.
Found, found? or just the car found?
Who are you quoting, Steve? I don't see this in the thread. :wft:
JoniBologna
14ers: 27 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JoniBologna »

That quote was from the Facebook page but has since be deleted. I'm so confused.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I don't know what the thread saying he was found was about - it was removed, it appears, from the FB threads... My contact who has direct contact with the family hasn't heard from the family so I would hope that any word on his whereabouts comes from his family or a SAR posting.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
Jackie
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jackie »

This was just posted on the FB page:

Important update

We wanted to take time to thank everyone for how quickly you were all willing to help search for our Dear Joseph. He has been found, at this time we are deeply saddened to report that Joe has passed on. Joe was a wonderful and gracious person and brought great joy to many people’s lives. We love him and will miss him greatly.

At this time we ask for time for our family to grieve. We will post funeral arrangements as soon as they have been made. Please keep our families in your prayers.

Joe you will always be in our hearts…
Love your family and friends
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Jackie wrote:This was just posted on the FB page:

Important update

We wanted to take time to thank everyone for how quickly you were all willing to help search for our Dear Joseph. He has been found, at this time we are deeply saddened to report that Joe has passed on. Joe was a wonderful and gracious person and brought great joy to many people’s lives. We love him and will miss him greatly.

At this time we ask for time for our family to grieve. We will post funeral arrangements as soon as they have been made. Please keep our families in your prayers.

Joe you will always be in our hearts…
Love your family and friends
That's awful. :(

RIP, Joe....
JoniBologna
14ers: 27 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JoniBologna »

So heartbreaking. RIP Joe. :(
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir
packratt
14ers: 28 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by packratt »

RIP Joe ~ Prayers go out to family and friends.
camillefox2112
Trip Reports (0)

Post by camillefox2112 »

so very, very sorry to hear. my condolences to the family...
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

This is not the outcome we were all hoping for. RIP Joe, I hope his family can in time find comfort and peace.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog