Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CamH
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Post by CamH »

We've created a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindJoe to assist in the search, any information regarding the places the car is not, please post on there if you can. We're trying to put together a list of the trailheads/areas that haven't been checked for his vehicle and we'll get that out soon.

Thank you for your help.

CamH (Brother-in-law)
JoniBologna
14ers: 27 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JoniBologna »

I'll do my best to help. I posted what little information I have on your FB page. My father and brother disappeared for about 36 hours when I was a little girl. They had taken a wrong turn and were ill-prepared, but they came back to us alive and mostly well. I am wishing the same for Joe.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andymcp1 »

I cant recall seeing a Silver honda up at the Elbert or Massive Th's on Sunday.
Have the police looked through cell phone use/ gps, credit card purchases, computer history, etc..? Any idea of what he was wearing or took with him? Any past conversations about areas he was wanting to go, where did the 1-3hr time frame come from?
catullus
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by catullus »

looking at his browsing history is really a great way to start -- he will have most likely searched for at least some info on where he is going.
camillefox2112
Trip Reports (0)

Post by camillefox2112 »

posted this on facebook about an hour ago and have read more comments added since from other users and replies to those but haven't seen a reply to my post yet...am hoping to help.

we were just up grizzly gulch today (the 'right hand fork' of the gray and torreys trail where the trail splits at the small summer parking lot and goes left up stevens gulch or right up grizzly gulch) and saw a car matching that description parked by the trail near some campsites. it was there when we headed up around noon and was still there when we came down about 4pm. my partner and i agree that we believe that was the license plate we saw. let me know if i can offer more info or better directions.

to clarify, i literally stumbled upon this thread while searching for random 14er info online after our hike. once i read this i asked my partner if he recalled the car we saw, he agreed it was a silver honda, and after seeing the license plate number posted as well we were both a bit unsettled to find we believe that was the plate we saw. hope everything ends well with this. *please* let me know if i can help with more info. very strange coincidence. :-/
Last edited by camillefox2112 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

A friend on Facebook shared that status and I shared it as well.

I hate reading troubling news like this. Let's hope he's well!
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I've asked the questions to the family indirectly through friends... I will see if any of it is something they haven't done already. Keep up the spirits, folks.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Hopefully we get some good news soon! Prayers being sent...
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

camillefox2112 wrote:posted this on facebook about an hour ago and have read more comments added since from other users and replies to those but haven't seen a reply to my post yet...am hoping to help.

we were just up grizzly gulch today (the 'right hand fork' of the gray and torreys trail where the trail splits at the small summer parking lot and goes left up stevens gulch or right up grizzly gulch) and saw a car matching that description parked by the trail near some campsites. it was there when we headed up around noon and was still there when we came down about 4pm. my partner and i agree that we believe that was the license plate we saw. let me know if i can offer more info or better directions.

to clarify, i literally stumbled upon this thread while searching for random 14er info online after our hike. once i read this i asked my partner if he recalled the car we saw, he agreed it was a silver honda, and after seeing the license plate number posted as well we were both a bit unsettled to find we believe that was the plate we saw. hope everything ends well with this. *please* let me know if i can help with more info. very strange coincidence. :-/
Sounds like this is at least worth sending a sherrif's deputy out to check on. It would be wonderful to figure out where he may be- thus a search could begin.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Post by RJansen77 »

Heading down to the San Juans this afternoon for a few days. I know it's further than the 1-3 hour radius, but will keep my eyes open nonetheless.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

According to the Facebook page mentioned above they did find his vehicle at the Grizzly Gultch TH. If anyone was up there this weekend and saw someone resembling Joe report it.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

kimism72 wrote:Can someone tell me if the car was found in the lot right off the interstate where the fireplace stands? I slept in my car Saturday night next to a car that could fit that description. It was parked over close to the trees, campsites and a trail wandering into the woods? The car I speak of was there when I pulled in at 4 p.m on Saturday and still there after I hiked Grays on Sunday, late in the afternoon.

If this is the same car, I would like to talk to someone.
It was found at the Grizzly Gulch TH for Grays/Torreys.

It sounds like it is the same location that camillefox2112 reported the vehicle... Call Kristen @ 720-354-8111. I am sure any information would be good.
camillefox2112 wrote: we were just up grizzly gulch today (the 'right hand fork' of the gray and torreys trail where the trail splits at the small summer parking lot and goes left up stevens gulch or right up grizzly gulch) and saw a car matching that description parked by the trail near some campsites. it was there when we headed up around noon and was still there when we came down about 4pm.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ