Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Haha, that arguement will surely be settled long after it's way, way too late.

"Hey, what's the best reef to scuba??"

"Any of them...... fifty years ago"

Anyway, back to the worst fire in our states history. I want to thank all of you who offered your homes to people that I needed to move. Globereal and itsnotatuba are the only ones who indetified themselves, but I got like 5 or 6 texts in the period of like 15min from 14ers.com memebers willing to open their homes to anyone I could send them. No questions, they just opened their homes. Thank You =D>

I'm working with the City of Manitou Springs, Mayor Marc Snyder and Venue 515 to do a benifit show for the Waldo Canyon Fire. We have strong support from local bands, artists donating their, sponsors, the BAC and KRCC. We are trying for a 12 to 14 hour event on Aug 11th. The show is certainly a go and I will make it an official event on FB tomorrow. The main focus will be Manitou Springs relief.

We could really use you guys to help support this. Come down, buy a ticket and get a bracelet. That bracelet allows you to come and go as you please from Venue 515 during the entire event. We encourage you to go shopping, eat lunch and/or dinner at one of the many fine restraunts in the area. Hell, make a weekend out of it. :D

Manitou go hit really hard during the peak season and knowing that you turned out for a day of fun to help them out would mean the world.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby conservationist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 pm

At the risk of following and prolonging the divergent path developing here (perhaps any further discussion should take place in the "Off Route" section), in general, the most respected climate scientists will tell you that the anomalous events we are seeing are consistent with global climate change. Can you make the statement that this fire, or even this summer as a whole, can be blamed on climate change? Not really. But, again, they are consistent with the types of unusual weather that are associated with global climate change.

Same thing can be said for the clustering of record-high temperatures in recent history. Additionally, at any one particular site, you have to account for other possible changes such as equipment changes, development of the land surrounding the observation site (urbanization which mostly leads to warmer readings) and a host of other tricky variables. In general, though, it's just another piece in the puzzle.

What I find truly alarming is the rate at which we are seeing these headline phenomena take place. The climate models all suggested this stuff would happen, just not so soon.

jdorje, the fact that our climate is changing is painfully obvious, unfortunately literally as well as figuratively. The only real debate left is whether the change is solely of anthropogenic sources. There are still scientists that believe natural cycles are exclusively responsible for what we are seeing, but their numbers are steadily shrinking as the evidence supporting man-made change is reaching overwhelming levels. My opinion is that the changes we are seeing are currently about 70% anthropogenic and 30% natural. Essentially, the man-made contributions have set the stage for natural cycles to trigger the changes.

Tommy Dorr (just above) may have captured the issue far more eloquently than I have!
Don't be average.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:

Anyway, back to the worst fire in our states history. I want to thank all of you who offered your homes to people that I needed to move. Globereal and itsnotatuba are the only ones who indetified themselves, but I got like 5 or 6 texts in the period of like 15min from 14ers.com memebers willing to open their homes to anyone I could send them. No questions, they just opened their homes. Thank You =D>

I'm working with the City of Manitou Springs, Mayor Marc Snyder and Venue 515 to do a benifit show for the Waldo Canyon Fire. We have strong support from local bands, artists donating their, sponsors, the BAC and KRCC. We are trying for a 12 to 14 hour event on Aug 11th. The show is certainly a go and I will make it an official event on FB tomorrow. The main focus will be Manitou Springs relief.

We could really use you guys to help support this. Come down, buy a ticket and get a bracelet. That bracelet allows you to come and go as you please from Venue 515 during the entire event. We encourage you to go shopping, eat lunch and/or dinner at one of the many fine restraunts in the area. Hell, make a weekend out of it. :D

Manitou go hit really hard during the peak season and knowing that you turned out for a day of fun to help them out would mean the world.

Umm, anyone??
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:30 pm

I don't really care much about the climate debate, but I sure am glad that our close friends and their small children were able to return safely from our home to their home in Woodland Park today (after a fun 4 day evacuation visit!) We chose to live in the mountains and thus accepted the risk. If you build a house on Everest, it's probably gonna get cold, find some jackets and home insulation. My house could burn down at any moment, that is why I pay for insurance. It is just a bunch of stuff anyway. However we love the clean crisp air, 5 min access to places where people take vacations, and cool temps that exist most of the time. Best to all.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:04 am

Tommy Dorr wrote:I'm working with the City of Manitou Springs, Mayor Marc Snyder and Venue 515 to do a benifit show for the Waldo Canyon Fire. We have strong support from local bands, artists donating their, sponsors, the BAC and KRCC. We are trying for a 12 to 14 hour event on Aug 11th. The show is certainly a go and I will make it an official event on FB tomorrow. The main focus will be Manitou Springs relief.

I think that's an awesome idea, Tommy, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers.When you do finalize the date, time, and details, please be sure to post it here with the most important info in bold so it isn't lost in the climate change/smokers debate.

There have been a number of layoffs in Manitou Springs and in my neighborhood also, some due to the loss of business and others because of unsafe working conditions. This is going to hit hard for a long time.

On another note, I hugged two National Guardsmen on the way out of town on Saturday. They were manning the blockade at the end of my street, on Centennial Boulevard. A neighbor, who I have never met, was outside watering her lawn and flagged me down to tell me she had just done the same thing! Like I said, I hope those guys like hugs. There are a lot of grateful people out there who want to thank them.

Driving home last night, they had just opened the street, and I noticed the grass was burned along the roadway... finally got to see just how close the flames really were: a block away.

This has really brought out the best in people, and for some, the worst. On another tangent: WALDO CANYON FIRE: Thieves trash homes, break into cars

Hard to believe there are folks out there risking their lives to save the properties of people they don't even know, while others are sneaking into the same evacuated neighborhoods to destroy them. Wow.

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 am

It's being reported that one of the Peterson-based C-130's equipped with a MAFFS unit crashed in South Dakota. There is no information on whether there were any fatalities, but this article states that three people were evacuated by helicopter: http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/07/ap-peterson-c-130-crash-forest-fire-070212/

They also didn't say whether or not this was one of the C-130's that helped fight the Waldo Fire or not, but thoughts are with the family and friends of any of those brave airmen who are a part of firefighting efforts all across the west. :(

Postby Vermont Refugee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 am

Tommy -

Make sure to post that link as soon as possible. The morning of the 11th WP will hold the Mayor's Cup 5/10k, so you can get the physical side of things out of the way quickly. It was sad to see the Gazette (the Gezer Telegraph) article about layoffs in Manitou this morning.
That's some catch that catch 22

Postby Oman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 am

Interesting story on how an anti-tax town "that was Tea Party before the Tea Party was cool" can handle a massive wildfire, police security, and reconstruction without a federal bailout:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-02/wildfire-tests-police-force-in-colorado-anti-tax-movement-s-home.html

Postby colokeith » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 am

ohh glad this is getting politicized :)

California, where you are taxed for walking out your front door, also has relied heavily on federal aid when it has been severely affected by wildfires. Just sayin

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/wildfire/ca_2007.shtm

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=47654
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 am

susanjoypaul wrote:This has really brought out the best in people, and for some, the worst. On another tangent: WALDO CANYON FIRE: Thieves trash homes, break into cars

I just have to say that I think the people which do this sort of thing are amongst the absolutely lowest sort of scum on the face of the earth. I hope that they get their fair share of what they deserve in this life or the next. :evil:
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm

KRCC @KRCC

Please stay out of Pike National Forest in the #WaldoCanyonFire closure area. 2 heli water drops were canceled today b/c of people inside.

.... :wft:

http://news.elpasoco.com/Pages/default.aspx?ReleaseID=594

Postby Nightwolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:24 pm

What is wrong with people? Geeze.

PreviousNext