Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby Oldskool70 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

England wrote:Doing my ride around Cheyenne Canon tonight(road all parks are closed), I encountered three seperate groups of teens smoking in picnic areas just outside the park. I stopped to inform them gently that they can't be smoking outside because of the stage 2 fire ban. They no idea, and promptly put out the smokes. Get the word out if you see this type of thing going on, and don't be a douche about it.

The small sliver of good out of this is that it'll create another social stigma against smoking itself... & further decrease the smoking population. I've already seen it here at my work. Co-workers are actually using those cigarette snuffing tube thingies when they didn't before. They feel the hostility in other people's conversation on this. They are sheepish about their habit. Kinda like when they outlawed smoking in bars & restuarants here years ago. That was the best thing they ever did!!!

Just a hunch but I believe it was just a careless smoker finding a spot after that initial push up the trail to rest. We'll probably never know who did it.

BTW- I'm a former smoker (89-95')...I admit my worst decision. Worst mistake in my life by far. :oops:

Another deterrent to get people off the tobacco companies thumb.
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby andrewwesty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:40 am

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 am

Oldskool70 wrote:The small sliver of good out of this is that it'll create another social stigma against smoking itself... & further decrease the smoking population. I've already seen it here at my work. Co-workers are actually using those cigarette snuffing tube thingies when they didn't before. They feel the hostility in other people's conversation on this. They are sheepish about their habit. Kinda like when they outlawed smoking in bars & restuarants here years ago. That was the best thing they ever did!!!
Just a hunch but I believe it was just a careless smoker finding a spot after that initial push up the trail to rest. We'll probably never know who did it.

BTW- I'm a former smoker (89-95')...I admit my worst decision. Worst mistake in my life by far. :oops:

Seperate debate for a seperate time
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby Oldskool70 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 am

Lemmiwinks wrote:
Oldskool70 wrote:The small sliver of good out of this is that it'll create another social stigma against smoking itself... & further decrease the smoking population. I've already seen it here at my work. Co-workers are actually using those cigarette snuffing tube thingies when they didn't before. They feel the hostility in other people's conversation on this. They are sheepish about their habit. Kinda like when they outlawed smoking in bars & restuarants here years ago. That was the best thing they ever did!!!

Seperate debate for a seperate time

Uhh. OK. Good thing I didn't get into the Red Cross... & oh-by-the-way they are dangerously short on blood donations tangent huh? Sorry all. I'll try not to go out of my swim lane.
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby mike_kadow » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:25 pm

I hate to bring up bad subjects, but I thought many of you might appreciate this.

Apologies for not reading through the 27 pages of this thread if this is already posted, but I thought this was a pretty neat vid.

7 minutes in gets pretty intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBA7eHY022k&feature=player_embedded#!

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:00 am

It's been a long week for everybody and yesterday was no different: High temps, smoky air, a new, sooty cloud pouring over the ridge behind Mountain Shadows, and a handful of spot fires spilling smoke into the air around Blodgett Peak. I watched and waited from the outdoor patio at Chipotle, at the bottom of Centennial Boulevard. Like a lot of other people, I was waiting for word that I could get back to my house, less than a mile away.

The wait has been frustrating, but I was so grateful to have a home to go back to, knowing that others were not so lucky. The woman I did my first 14er with - Pikes Peak - has a home but she can't go back for six months, because it's surrounded by the burned-down houses of her neighbors. The guy that I climbed Elbert with lost his home and everything in it.

They lifted the evacuations along Ute Valley Park last night, and thousands of people were allowed back into their homes. I have never been so happy to see my house! I honked the horn the whole way through the neighborhood.

I was overcome, going home - speechless - but today I woke up proud and grateful for all the people who came forward to show their true colors through all this: The newscasters who followed this from Day 1, and kept us all informed round-the-clock; the people at the City of Colorado Springs, who got my utilities back on and sent me an email this morning with all the latest updates; all the people who came forward with offers of room and board; the policemen and women who have been a permanent fixture on the streets around the northwest part of the city, keeping traffic flowing and protecting the privacy of those dealing with loss; my friends and neighbors who reached out to me to share whatever updates they could glean from the press conferences, photos, and evacuee meetings. I watched the President's small motorcade speed by yesterday and it made me proud and grateful too, that my country cared. He had just toured the burned-out neighborhoods and was on his way to meet with firefighters at local Fire Station Number 9.

I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing that I will never look at firefighters the same way ever again... I know I'll want to thank them and let them know what a difference they made for me and for so many other people. I've been driving by Holmes Middle School every day, looking at the little silver domed tents where many of the out-of-town firefighters make their homes at night, after spending all their waking hours fighting the Waldo Canyon fire. Last night on the news I saw a photo of firefighters taking a break at the site of the still-burning fire. They were wrapped in sleeping bags, at rest in the middle of the road, because that was the safest place for them to sleep.

I'm a cynical person by nature, somewhat antisocial, and am generally annoyed by most other people. It's hard to be annoyed by a firefighter. What they do is amazing and I know that when I see them doing their weekly shopping at the local grocery store I'm going to want to hug every one of them. I think there are a lot of people who are going to want to do the same. I hope those firefighters like hugs!

For me, this is over - I can inhale now, and exhale too. I'm heading up to Rocky Mountain National Park for the weekend for some fresh air and mountain views, and as much as I'm going to love it, it sure feels good to know that I'll have a home to come back to Sunday night. Thanks to all who made that possible.

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 am

Very nice post Susan.

A huge THANK YOU to everyone that has fought this fire.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby coloradokevin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:53 am

I had a work assignment that placed me in a helicopter over the Waldo Canyon Fire zone for a good portion of yesterday afternoon. While we were flying in that area I took some picture of the damage I observed from the fire. This fire appeared to be fairly selective in what it burned, randomly leaving one house standing while burning another nearby home to the foundation. Throughout my 4 hour flight over this area I noticed that there were a lot of places where a single home may have burned to the ground while the two nearest neighboring houses appeared completely untouched. Similarly, in some area it seemed as if an entire neighborhood had burned to the ground, while one or two homes were left standing, untouched by the fire for no obvious reason. Some streets did appear to be completely burned out, but even in these areas there were homes fairly close by that appeared damage-free.

So, if you do live in this area, and haven't yet heard about your home, I wouldn't presume that all was lost until you actually get up there to find out. Nature was finicky in this fire.

For the most part I'd say that houses either fell into one of two categories, with very few exceptions:

1) Burned to the foundation.
2) Completely untouched.

Here are a couple of pictures from my vantage point above the fire in the early afternoon hours on Friday. I wish I could tell you exactly what streets you are looking at in these pictures, but I was part of the flight crew during this operation, and didn't really have the luxury of giving my full attention to photographing the area:

Postby tmathews » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:09 am

Hwy 24 is reopening in both directions today (Sunday) at 1:00.

Also mentioned -- Barr Trail and the incline remain closed.

Postby tmathews » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 am

Here are some weather-related stats from the NWS for Colorado Springs. A couple of items of note: total precipitation for the month and that we were 10.2 degrees above the historical temperature average for June in 2012. We set nine record highs. It was mentioned in another thread, but we also set an all-time record high of 101 degrees on 6/26/12 -- the same day the firestorm blew into the northwest part of the city.

June 2012 stats.jpg
June 2012 stats.jpg (242.97 KiB) Viewed 1056 times

Postby wegerje » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Climate Change? So correct me if I'm making some kind of logic error here. With 30 days of data spread over lets say a 100 yearsish shouldn't there be around three records per decade if the process were random? And wouldn't a consistent climate pattern be essentially random? And really random would posit that some decades might have one or zero records and some might have four or five records?

So if we look at the rain records they seem to bear out that kind of expected randomish record. The 20's and 30's had one each and the 70' had 5 with the rest 2,3, or 4.

But when we look at the min and max temperature records they are wildly skewed, especially the record highs with 17 being in the last 10 years. And the record lows show only two in the last twenty years.

So can't we say we are looking at some evidence of global warming in those data?
Jeff Wegerson

Postby jdorje » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 pm

wegerje wrote:So can't we say we are looking at some evidence of global warming in those data?

I think we're going way off topic here, but: no, you cannot look at such a small subset of data and use it to argue in favor of the world getting hotter. If you want to argue the world is getting hotter, you need to look at a large amount of data, such as the world as a whole. Even that doesn't prove that it's caused by greenhouse warming and is likely to continue, of course; to prove that you need to look at the amount of greenhouse gas in the air and then try to prove that greenhouse gas causes a greenhouse effect.

If you're still trying to argue that "global warming is real", though, you're probably arguing with the wrong people.
-Jason Dorje Short

PreviousNext