Gladstone Peak traverse info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Gladstone Peak traverse info

Post by tmathews »

I'm thinking of heading to the San Miguels this weekend for Gladstone Peak, but I'm also interested in traversing to Wilson Peak on the way back. There are only a couple of TRs mentioning this traverse, so I thought I'd inquire about it here. If you've done this Gladstone-to-Wilson-Peak traverse -- how difficult does it get and how many hours should I expect to be on it? If there is any 5th Class, I'll probably consider hitting up one of my buddies for company.

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!
Last edited by tmathews on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Gladstone Peak traverse info

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Yo T man

I did this traverse after Wilson Peak. However, I gained the ridge from around that rail hand cart after Rock of Ages saddle and going into the Navajo Basin.

The ridge goes class 3. West side of the ridge is pretty mellow so if you get pushed off the ridge just go west. Really fun scrambling.

My descent can be seen in image 2. Pretty steep gulley with loose rock but it went (I was kind of wanting to get off the mountain as fast as possible so probably not the most efficient descent). I was forced to cross a sizeable boulder field that exists on the east side of the peak as you enter the basin just so you know.
Attachments
View from below Wilson Peak
View from below Wilson Peak
P1020300.JPG (165.71 KiB) Viewed 724 times
P1020331.JPG
P1020331.JPG (109.68 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Look down the ridge
Look down the ridge
P1020315.JPG (105.39 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Just attempted this traverse with a friend this weekend, I turned back about half a mile from the top, though he made it to the summit.

It does go at class 3, but the more solid rock on the ridge crest apparently involves some class 4 moves. Based on how the rock was to where I turned around, sidehilling through the boulders off the crest of the ridge would NOT be recommended--this was some of the loosest crap I've ever been on. Several-hundred-pound boulders can and will slide without warning. My friend described the whole thing as sketchier than the Wilson-El Diente traverse.

I believe from the 13200' saddle on Wilson Pk to summit took him about 3 hours, one way.

If you go, be careful--this is a gorgeous mountain, but not one I think I'm ever going to even attempt again. It just feels too dangerous...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Try to stay ridge proper. The east side is a loose mess. You'll be side-hilling on unsavory terrain. There is a short notch/step early on that pushed us to climber's left (east) and we never went back to the ridge which was a mistake. You can bail into Navajo Basin via a series of gullies. Several of them looked like they would go. I hiked back to the saddle instead because I wasn't into steep scree descents back then.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Papillon wrote:Try to stay ridge proper. The east side is a loose mess. You'll be side-hilling on unsavory terrain. There is a short notch/step early on that pushed us to climber's left (east) and we never went back to the ridge which was a mistake. You can bail into Navajo Basin via a series of gullies. Several of them looked like they would go. I hiked back to the saddle instead because I wasn't into steep scree descents back then.
+1

You'll like it, Terry. It's a good, albeit slightly loose class-3 ridge. Like Chris said, some the bigger boulders are surprisingly loose on the crest. East side is not easier.
Stick to the crest most of the way but like Pap said, there's a bit of a notch. Gets easier closer towards Wilson.
I've gone up and down a couple of the gullies on the Navajo side with Jeff Valliere and Dave Hale before. They work if for whatever reason you have to bail.
Nice shots, Abe!
strudolyubov
14ers: 57  7 
13ers: 68 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by strudolyubov »

Terry,

Here is the North Ridge trip report from last Saturday:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12165

It took me slightly less than 2 hours to get from where the standard Wilson Peak trail crosses the ridge to the summit of Gladstone and ~1h40min to get back. Staying on the ridge crest is definitely safer than traversing below loose junk poised to slide without warning. Ridge crest is reasonably solid and has occasional class 4 sections, and a few optional/easily avoidable low class 5 steps/traverses.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I just wanted to say "Thanks!" to everyone for the info, advice, and encouragement. It's greatly appreciated!
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

tmathews wrote:I just wanted to say "Thanks!" to everyone for the info, advice, and encouragement. It's greatly appreciated!
Sooo, did you do this Wilson Peak/Rock of Ages saddle traverse to Gladstone?

How was it in your opinion?

Pictures?