Bear Peak/South Boulder Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Bear Peak/South Boulder Peak

Post by oldschoolczar »

These are some of my favorite hikes near the metro area along with Green Mountain (Boulder) nearby. They offer ~3000' gain and they're so close. I was going to hike Bear Peak today but seeing how it's on fire I'm not going to be doing that.

Can anyone recommend similar peaks near the metro area that offer a nice, strenuous hike with ~3000' gain? These are really the only nearby peaks I do. I assume there's some similar hikes not too far west of Golden? That would be ideal and even closer for me...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Bear Peak/South Boulder Peak

Post by Derek »

Not sure of the stats exactly, but Blue/Baby Blue/East Blue combo from Nott Creek TH in Golden Gate make a nice hike. Mainly off trail and contains a bit of class 3, so it does require route finding and scrambling.

There used to be a good summitpost page on the group, I think it left with a member though. A can attach a map later.

Greenhouseguy wrote some good information in his report for Blue and Baby Blue, except we didnt go on to East Blue that day.
http://home.comcast.net/~greenhouseguy/ ... Report.htm

--D
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Mt Morrison provides ~2000' vertical in about 4 miles RT (south ridge). 10 min. from Golden.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Another option is Mount Falcon, starting at the TH near Morrison. 2000 vert.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely got me looking at some new areas..
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Not quite the 3k you were after but these are west of Golden and are nice workouts with great views:

Tremont Mountain in Golden Gate Canyon State Park mostly bushwhack about 2 miles RT but about 1,500 feet up bit of scramble to the summit

Thorodin Mtn/Starr Peak/Sheepshead BM starting from the same park 4 miles RT bushwhack about 1,700 up just sweet view of Denver I imagine w/o clouds. Another scramble

Centennial Cone from Mayhem Gulch TH (thanks to greenhouseguy for that addition; I'd only climbed it from the west and north Centennial Cone Park) about 9.5 miles RT 0.5 mile bushwhack with 1,900 of gain but 420 more if you added Point 7814 in the same park. The park has weekend alt use; hikers on odd days
Not sure of the stats exactly, but Blue/Baby Blue/East Blue combo from Nott Creek TH in Golden Gate make a nice hike. Mainly off trail and contains a bit of class 3, so it does require route finding and scrambling.

There used to be a good summitpost page on the group, I think it left with a member though. A can attach a map later.
Derek, I found a waterlogged copy of the route we SHOULD have completed. D*#$ gaitors. 7 miles and 3,153 according to the old SP page.