Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:19 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
moneymike wrote:Does anyone know how one would go about finding out if a certain house has been burned. I would like to know if my parents' house in Peregrine burned down. Maybe someone has a recent picture or a link to recent pictures of the peregrine area?

1:45 p.m.

From Colorado Springs spokeswoman Mary Scott:

There will be a meeting tonight to inform residents whether the Waldo Canyon fire damaged their homes. The location and time will be confirmed at the 4 p.m. press conference. The meeting will be limited to residents in certain areas: It is not open to the public. Invited residents should bring identification.

Gazette.com will have details when available.

The list of streets with homes affected is posted here - and my street is NOT on the list! Thank goodness... my heart goes out to anyone invited to that meeting tonight.

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:24 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Has anyone heard any rumors about how long the Ute Valley Park area evacuations are expected to last?

Looks like they're lifting mandatory evac (still pre-evac) for areas south and east of Rockrimmon at 8:00 tonight. This doesn't include the area around Ute Valley Park, though....

Postby mountaingoat-G » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Phew, sister's house its OK. Hope you all down in the Springs are getting some rain.
Serious condolences for anyone who lost their home..

On the topic of Texas: I remember seeing news about the Texas fires on the news around here last season, so it wasn't ignored.
I'm sure anyone who saw those fires in Texas felt horrible for folks down there..
Now, back on topic..... hope for (gentle) rain !!!

Postby England » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Doing my ride around Cheyenne Canon tonight(road all parks are closed), I encountered three seperate groups of teens smoking in picnic areas just outside the park. I stopped to inform them gently that they can't be smoking outside because of the stage 2 fire ban. They no idea, and promptly put out the smokes. Get the word out if you see this type of thing going on, and don't be a douche about it.

Postby Craig Cook » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I just read this from the Gazette. :(

Remains of one person found at 2910 Rossmere Street is the first confirmed death in the Waldo Canyon fire. A second person associated with that address is unaccounted for.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby tmathews » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:31 am

Craig Cook wrote:I just read this from the Gazette. :(

Remains of one person found at 2910 Rossmere Street is the first confirmed death in the Waldo Canyon fire. A second person associated with that address is unaccounted for.

Ack! What a horrible way to go. :(

RIP....
Last edited by tmathews on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:42 am

[quote="SuperiorTrailHiker]The satellite images are pretty telling (Duluth is at the point in the lower left of the lake, for those not previously familiar):

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=s&page=1

That's a whole lotta stuff in the lake.[/quote]
Wow, that is a lot of stuff. :shock: I noticed a lot of brown water flowing out under the Aerial Lift Bridge the day after the flood on the Marine Museum's webcam, but had no idea that so much of that crud had been washed out "to sea".
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby ClimbStewart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 am

Terry...not a good thing to post the names of the possible deceased in the neighborhood. While that info is available, it is insensitive. What if the family found out about out on the Net. I urge you yo edit your post. Thanks. Stewart

Postby tmathews » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:18 am

ClimbStewart wrote:Terry...not a good thing to post the names of the possible deceased in the neighborhood. While that info is available, it is insensitive. What if the family found out about out on the Net. I urge you yo edit your post. Thanks. Stewart

Sorry, it was early in the morning and I'm still not quite awake. Edited.

Postby peter303 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:33 am

Remains of one person ... is the first confirmed death in the Waldo Canyon fire. A second person associated with that address is unaccounted for.

The fire came so fast that it is possible a napper slept through it and perished.

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:46 am

peter303 wrote:
Remains of one person ... is the first confirmed death in the Waldo Canyon fire. A second person associated with that address is unaccounted for.

The fire came so fast that it is possible a napper slept through it and perished.

Quite possible.

As I'd posted earlier, my daughter and I were on Rossmere and Wilson at 4p Tuesday and saw the first flames crest the ridge. Sorry for the redundancy, but absolutely indescribable how quickly the flames engulfed the entire ridge and moved DOWN the slope towards the homes. With the wind, this fire not only defied logic, but the flames looked like they were gaining momentum and growing larger as it quickly moved towards the homes.

It was so fast that everyone we saw at first was just being leisurely about their activities: packing cars, taking pictures, or out walking their dog. Suddenly the couple taking the pictures and the couple walking their dog started sprinting back towards their homes.

Most people we saw had prepacked (or were presently packing vehicles) and were heading the hell out of there. As did we. I prayed no one was caught unaware in their home. But geez, it just grew and moved so fast!

I too hope the person was asleep, may your soul rest in peace....
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby dcbates80911 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 am

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:
peter303 wrote:

Quite possible.

As I'd posted earlier, my daughter and I were on Rossmere and Wilson at 4p Tuesday and saw the first flames crest the ridge. Sorry for the redundancy, but absolutely indescribable how quickly the flames engulfed the entire ridge and moved DOWN the slope towards the homes. With the wind, this fire not only defied logic, but the flames looked like they were gaining momentum and growing larger as it quickly moved towards the homes.

It was so fast that everyone we saw at first was just being leisurely about their activities: packing cars, taking pictures, or out walking their dog. Suddenly the couple taking the pictures and the couple walking their dog started sprinting back towards their homes.

Most people we saw had prepacked (or were presently packing vehicles) and were heading the hell out of there. As did we. I prayed no one was caught unaware in their home. But geez, it just grew and moved so fast!

I too hope the person was asleep, may your soul rest in peace....

I was still at work just east of 30h and Garden of the Gods. We had been watching the helicopter and MAFF drops on the ridge at Queens Canyon. I still cannot believe how fast that thing moved. We saw large flames over Queens Canyon and then over Mt. Shadows and moving towards Blodgett Peak and rushing downhill. After we got outside, the hot wind coming down the mountain was unbelievable, I cannot immagine what it was like in the burn zone. Everything from aboutr 4:00 -10:00 that night was just unbelievable.

Condolences to the family of the life lost and to those who lost homes.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

PreviousNext