Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wildlife

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Wildlife

Postby HighCountry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Very interesting!

Here's one I took around Christmas time. I managed to get within a few feet of a small herd:

IMG_4239pssm.jpg
IMG_4239pssm.jpg (285.12 KiB) Viewed 648 times
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.

Postby Mark Curtis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Took these shots this morning on a lake near my home. The fires have really intensified the sunrises/sunsets. Tried to have some fun with the titles......hopefully providing some levity during a tense time for many.

Postby Sonny Yohn » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Yesterday on Grays and Torreys :

mountain goat.jpg
mountain goat.jpg (308.67 KiB) Viewed 540 times

resized.jpg
resized.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Postby HighCountry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 am

A bull moose (taken a couple of days ago):

IMG_0184pssm.jpg
IMG_0184pssm.jpg (302.54 KiB) Viewed 453 times
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.

Postby Mark Curtis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Great! Where did you find this big moose?

Postby Mark Curtis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Lincoln's Sparrow (thanks to Skip for ID) near summit of Molas Pass
Last edited by Mark Curtis on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skip Perkins » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Mark, Great picture! I believe it is a Lincoln's Sparrow.
Last edited by Skip Perkins on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mark Curtis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Skip Perkins wrote:Mark, Great picture! I believe it is a Lincoln's Sparrow.

Thanks, Skip! It does look very much like a Lincoln's Sparrow and I have changed the description to reflect that fact. Nicely done.

Postby JimR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:49 pm

I was descending Green Mtn in Boulder this morning, and just below the cabin at the base of the Ranger Trail, I ran into this bruiser lumbering up the trail.
Small bear-1.jpg
Small bear-1.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 287 times

Luckily, I remembered from my mountain etiquette class that uphill traffic has the right of way, so I backed up and got out of the way--and snapped a couple photos. A couple other people and I retreated across a bridge toward the outhouse--because everyone knows that wild bears don't use outhouses in the woods. He ambled past
Small bear-2.jpg
Small bear-2.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 287 times

and headed into the woods
Small bear-3.jpg
Small bear-3.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 287 times
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby mike_kadow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:58 pm

JimR wrote:I was descending Green Mtn in Boulder this morning, and just below the cabin at the base of the Ranger Trail, I ran into this bruiser lumbering up the trail.
Small bear-1.jpg

Luckily, I remembered from my mountain etiquette class that uphill traffic has the right of way, so I backed up and got out of the way--and snapped a couple photos. A couple other people and I retreated across a bridge toward the outhouse--because everyone knows that wild bears don't use outhouses in the woods. He ambled past
Small bear-2.jpg

and headed into the woods
Small bear-3.jpg

Think he was displaced from the fires?

I ask only because I haven't heard of many bears in the Boulder area.
To be fair though, my first summer living here ('08), one adult waltz in from the west through the Sourdough sites in White Ranch OS Park. :shock:

Postby JimR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:05 pm

mike_kadow wrote:Think he was displaced from the fires?

To be fair though, my first summer living here ('08), one adult waltz in from the west through the Sourdough sites in White Ranch OS Park. :shock:

Well, the reason I was on Green Mtn was because Bear & South Boulder Peaks were still closed, so I suppose he could have seen the same sign that I did :) . I had intended to do them but discovered when I got there they are still closed, so I went up Green. I thought it rather ironic that I couldn't do Bear Pk, but instead encountered a bear on Green Mountain.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby JimR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:15 pm

mike_kadow wrote:Think he was displaced from the fires?

Sorry if the previous response was a bit facetious. In fact, bears in Boulder are not all that rare. There was the famous bear falling from the tree earlier this year, and we had three bears up in a tree at NIST a few years ago. It seems we get one or two bear-in-town incidents per year.

PreviousNext