Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 am

Our dear friends came in last night from Woodland Park with dog and small children in tow. A sad occasion, but as we discussed, it is just stuff that we lose, and we chose to live here. Having lived in CA and dealt with earthquakes, all places have risk. I wish the best for all.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby TehWoopig » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 am

Palmyra J wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:
d_baker wrote:I would like to extend my thanks to Terry & everyone else posting the updates as well. I'm in Texas, and the news down here is not covering it. Imagine that.
This thread has helped me stay in tuned of what's been going on.

That's because Texans haven't realized there is a world outside of their boundaries.
Yeah... I went there.

I am very tired of the Texas joke. I have been in CO on and off since birth...I have just never had the opportunity to be a full time resident. Texans are just like anyone else... we love the Rockies too. Many of us would love to be in the position to complain about all the tacky Texans that visit the mountains. In the mean time I will mind my manners with respect and try to protect all natural beauty.

God speed and safety to all those fighting this fire and to those living with the consequences.

I second this. While I live in Texas (I'd love to move but cannot at this point in time), I love Colorado more than any other place around. I'd like to point out that the local media here is not covering the wildfires much if at all...just like your local media most likely did not cover our wildfires last year. Ya, we had them too. The Bastrop County Complex fire destroyed over 1,600 homes and was responsible for 2 fatalities. Local news covers news that is usually relevant to the area. That's just the way it is. Unless there is a big group of Boy Scouts from Texas endangered there, the news isn't going to cover much of it. I've been following the fires all day every day lately because I only get to visit about once a year.

My dad is a wilderness firefighter, though at this point in his career he is basically retired from the fire fighting part. I have a great respect for fire fighters and the sacrifices that they are willing to give. I'm actually a little embarrassed that there is even "schoolyard finger pointing" going on here.

My deepest sympathies to the families who have lost their homes. Hopefully no casualties will result from these fires.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 am

tmathews wrote:Seeing on the news this morning that the total acreage has been updated to 18,500. We'll get official numbers at the media briefing at 8:00. My thoughts are with you, Noel, and a few others on the site I know live in Woodland Park -- namely Josh (CO Native) and Geoff (geoffirons from the COS REI) -- among others.

Here's some humor I saw yesterday in light of all of this horrible news:

I guess this explains why so many people were stuck in traffic.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Oldskool70 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

Palmyra J wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:
d_baker wrote:I would like to extend my thanks to Terry & everyone else posting the updates as well. I'm in Texas, and the news down here is not covering it. Imagine that.
This thread has helped me stay in tuned of what's been going on.

That's because Texans haven't realized there is a world outside of their boundaries.
Yeah... I went there.

I am very tired of the Texas joke. I have been in CO on and off since birth...I have just never had the opportunity to be a full time resident. Texans are just like anyone else... we love the Rockies too. Many of us would love to be in the position to complain about all the tacky Texans that visit the mountains. In the mean time I will mind my manners with respect and try to protect all natural beauty.

God speed and safety to all those fighting this fire and to those living with the consequences.

K. Here’s the nitty-gritty on this. Although this is not a fire topic , it is a community topic. Everyone has to tread lightly. Granted , it’s tough to do for Type-A people. I’m not saying “stifle your voice”. But if you are boisterous about your opinion then you may ruin your image for all that is associated with what you stand for… & make people stand-offish (or worse)from you. IE: I’m-from-this-state, hikers/incliners, road/MTB bikers, stay-at-home moms ,any religious or political affiliations. I could go on & on, cuz we are all old enough to have opinions & likes/dislikes. world is a melting pot, but C.S. is a sauce pan!

I’m opposite - Everyday I make an effort to be obscure. Not good for my ego, but keeps me from having fewer confrontations…which gives me a bit more peace in my world. What good would it cause if I flaunted my Navy background around in a Army & AF town? Might inflate my ego…while getting my ass kicked too.

Point is: Ease people into your background (conversation over a beer in a plain white T-shirt works for me!) & they won’t throw up a wall. ](*,) Hey, we're all on the same side...above ground!!! \:D/
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 am

hoping and praying for some relief for everybody in the springs. God bless everybody fighting and helping contain the fires.

in regard to area fuel moisture, “We’re at 4.4 percent and that’s an average valley-wide. If you look at kiln-dried lumber, it’s 10 to 12 percent.” (gunnison valley)

Everybody in fires areas needs to be on their toes right now
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 am

Huh. I just captured this image on the Pikes Peak summit cam. I wonder how they got up there. AFAIK, the Cog Railway and the Highway are still closed (and they don't look like hikers).

summitcam.jpg
summitcam.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 471 times

Edit: Now there are more. The Cog must be running. They look like Mennonites.

summitcam1.jpg
summitcam1.jpg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Edit 2: Yup, the Cog is running: http://cograilway.com/Colorado%20Fires.htm

The Waldo Canyon Fire - UPDATE

Thursday, June 28th at 9:45 AM - update.

COG RAILWAY RESUMES OPERATIONS.

The Pikes Peak Cog Railway extends its deepest sympathy to our employees and their families who have lost their homes in the fire recently. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as well as EVERYONE who has been affected by the fires, whether though loss of home or evacuation.
Last edited by tmathews on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Oldskool70 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 am

tmathews wrote:Huh. I just captured this image on the Pikes Peak summit cam. I wonder how they got up there. AFAIK, the Cog Railway and the Highway are still closed (and they don't look like hikers).

summitcam.jpg

Ummmm. Not the attire I would be changing into from the Crags TH !!! That's good stuff :P
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Re: Fire in Waldo Canyon

Postby SarahSimon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 am

tmathews wrote:
d_baker wrote:And some forum members have been evac'd from the latest surge. Best wishes to Susan & Doug. As well as everyone else effected by this. You're all in my thoughts from down here in the S.

I just got a text message from Susan. She's safe. I don't know about Doug, though. Let's hope so....

FYI, Doug and his dog are here safe with me and my husband in Black Forest. I work from home and his dog is curled up quietly by me (much to my 4 dogs' chagrin). I also have at least 12 of AstroClimber's alpacas mowing my south pasture, as well as my husband's CEO and two teenagers. My house is a like a happy little circus.

Most importantly, DHatifield evacuated all three of his beloved vehicles - Jeep, Ram & "station wagon." Life as he knew it would have ended, otherwise.

Susan: VERY glad to hear you are fine!

All of my best wishes to all my climbing partners and online buds on 14ers.com, SP and LoJ affected by #waldocanyonfire and all the others. What a summer from hell. :-(

Stay safe out there and take care of one another!!!
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." ~ John Wooden

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:08 am

SarahSimon wrote:FYI, Doug and his dog are here safe with me and my husband in Black Forest. I work from home and his dog is curled up quietly by me (much to my 4 dogs' chagrin). I also have at least 12 of AstroClimber's alpacas mowing my south pasture, as well as my husband's CEO and two teenagers. My house is a like a happy little circus.

Most importantly, DHatifield evacuated all three of his beloved vehicles - Jeep, Ram & "station wagon." Life as he knew it would have ended, otherwise.

Susan: VERY glad to hear you are fine!

Thanks Sarah! It was *very* kind of you to accommodate Doug and Kyra. I don't know anyone else who would have the room for them... and the vehicles. He bought that house in Pinon Valley specifically for the long driveway.

I was looking at a map last night and it *looks* like my house and Doug's are both safe. No official word yet, but I'm feeling very optimistic! Eric's place looks good too... he was working at REI when the evacuations started and had to leave with just the clothes on his back. So far, so good. And so many people to be thankful for right now... :D

Postby shaunster_co » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:20 am

Susan;
Glad you are okay and staying positive. The article you wrote (or LA T picked up) was amazing. Well done. Again, glad you guys are safe and hope that is echoed to everyone else in the COS community.

Postby MUni Rider » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:29 am

tmathews wrote:Seeing on the news this morning that the total acreage has been updated to 18,500. We'll get official numbers at the media briefing at 8:00. My thoughts are with you, Noel, and a few others on the site I know live in Woodland Park -- namely Josh (CO Native) and Geoff (geoffirons from the COS REI) -- among others.

Here's some humor I saw yesterday in light of all of this horrible news:

That was me. Sorry. All done now. Move along, nothing to see. :mrgreen:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Wow, I had no idea this thing had gotten so out of control. I have had family in town and haven't been following the news stories on this. So sad to see so many people not only forced to evacuate, but to lose their homes as well. I can an only imagine what it feels like. We had a condo fire in Avon over Memorial Day and I heard it over the radio on I-70 on my way home, the next half hour I was so worried it was going to be at my apartment complex. Its a strange and guilty relief when you find out your home is safe but not your neighbors (4 th's were destroyed, people lost everything even some cars). We had a charity event in town the following week and raised over $18k. I am hoping that your community will be able to pull together and come up with even more as the damage is so much more extensive. I'll see what I can muster up to send to Red Cross myself. Good luck to you all and lets hope the rains come soon!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

PreviousNext