Tenting with a dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tenting with a dog

Post by ATOMEMT »

+1 for cutting down an old closed cell pad. Dogs do, ultimately, figure it out...where warmth and heat are involved.
Ruffwear sells a great/light sleeping pad that fits in their packs, but old thermarest pads do the trick as well. My dog doesn't tolerate anything thrown over her, like an old blanket, so ultimately it's about keeping her off the cold ground and near us in the tent.
Attachments
Sage was reluctant to leave the warmth of the tent.
Sage was reluctant to leave the warmth of the tent.
SAGE TENT.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Also a great pillow.
Also a great pillow.
SAGE TENT 2.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
And pups can pre-warm sleeping bags.
And pups can pre-warm sleeping bags.
SAGE TENT 3.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
bpko
14ers: 13  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bpko »

These are great suggestions! Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like the answer was obvious all along. I think the problem the other night was the ground, not the ambient temp inside the tent. I have an MSR Hubba Hubba, and it seems to be a decently warm tent, so I was wondering if my dog was just being a baby. I'm going to look into getting a cheap foam pad for Gus.

As for packs, do you all use bigger packs for the dogs and attach rolled up pads/blankets to the outsides? Gus is pretty small for a purebred chocolate Lab, so all I can really fit inside his pack is a couple of water bottles, some treats, little bit of food, a watering/food dish, hiking booties, and doggy bags. With all this in there, there is no room at all for something like a blanket or a foam pad.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "Sir," without adding, "you're making a scene."
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

We've been using the RuffWear Palisade packs for several years, nice size, and it's helpful to be able to take the pack off while leaving the harness on, particularly when encountering some terrain the dogs need a little more agility to get over (i.e. talus, deeper stream crossings, etc.)

We try not to pack the dogs up with too much weight, pretty much what you described with the addition of some imodium (loperamide), aspirin (buffered), rimadyl, etc. no fun having a dog with diarrhea waking you up to constantly do it's biz. We never strap anything to the outside, good way to lose stuff. We don't typically have the dogs carry water, most times there are plenty of streams and lakes for them and when there's not the people carry the extra water. The Palisade packs come with small bladders but the one time I tried to fill them and put in the packs it was just too much trouble, nice idea but just didn't work for us.

Always be ready to carry a dog pack in the event the dog gets hurt somehow, we've had one or two get a muscle strain, cut pad, or something else and then we've carried what the dog had, they still get to carry the empty pack though. I guess we have a little more flexibility with multiple dogs, we can always divi up one dog's stuff among the other four. For our pups one dog carries the 2 Thermarest pads and we split his food between the others or carry it ourselves for the first few days, the pads are a little bulky but very light, a foam pad would likely be as bulky if not more so.

Hope that helps, have fun hiking with you dogs, they are such a blast to have along.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I actually carry the rolled pad on the outside of my pack, it weighs next to nothing.
He carry's a larger rough wear pack. I don't remember the model. It fits (food, collapsible bowl, fleece blanket, coat, 1L water bottle, and 15Ft tieout)
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
bpko
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bpko »

Looks like I might have to upgrade Gus' pack volume if I want him to carry extra items. Right now he uses an REI brand dog pack, medium size, which is a bit out of the ordinary since Labs tend to be on the larger side of breeds, but Gus has all the straps cinched as small as they go and it still looks a bit big on him.

Do you all by chance have any pictures of your pups with their packs fully loaded so I can get an idea of a setup? That would be awesome!
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "Sir," without adding, "you're making a scene."
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Careful about going too big, you don't want the pack dragging on the ground or interfering with walking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrankym ... 016815698/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrankym ... 891476880/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrankym ... 921091583/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrankym ... 956338324/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrankymonkey/244876579/

Flickr allows you to select a larger version of the pic if you need to

We're still using some of the older Palisade packs, the white dogs with red packs are the newer version. I think the white dog on Buckskin pass has a Wanaha pack which is stuffed away in a closet, the pack not the dog, it doesn't fit as well as the Palisades and is pretty large. The newer Palisade fits a bit better than the previous versions. If you can find a store that will let you try the pack on your pooch that would be ideal, RuffWear is pretty good about responding to questions as well if you need some help fitting. Damn, RuffWear really should pay us for these recommendations.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
bpko
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bpko »

I might go with a Palisade pack for Gus. The REI pack has worked great for my needs (simple dayhikes or long 14er days), but if I become more active in overnighters I need to make sure there is enough space. The Palisade looks like it's a bit roomier and has more zippers and features. Thanks for all your help Husky!
ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATOMEMT »

+1 for Ruffwear packs. They ride high on the back and forward over the shoulders. I've seen some pretty miserable pups hauling packs WAY too big, too low on their torso and too heavy. Sage carries her food, 1st aid supplies, booties, bowl, and bed-roll. We keep her pack pretty light...she only weighs 45 lbs. REI let Sage try on different sizes just outside the front doors of their Denver store until we got the right, snug fit.
Attachments
SAGE GORE TRAIL 22.5.jpg
SAGE GORE TRAIL 22.5.jpg (311.06 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
RUFFWEAR 32.5.jpg
RUFFWEAR 32.5.jpg (181.17 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
RENEE&SAGE GORE TRAIL 7.5.jpg
RENEE&SAGE GORE TRAIL 7.5.jpg (171.82 KiB) Viewed 3183 times