Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flagstaff Fire (Boulder)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Flagstaff Fire (Boulder)

Postby USAKeller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:13 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Anyone have any updates? From my office in Broomfield it seems like the smoke has subsided.

From the Daily Camera, as of 20 minutes ago:
Flagstaff Fire: Crews prepare to defend south Boulder amid worries about high winds
The Flagstaff Fire continues to burn without containment west of Boulder today as firefighters work to build fire breaks along the Shanahan Ridge neighborhood amid concerns that high winds could intensify the wildfire as the day goes on.

An infrared scan of the burn area showed the fire was 230 acres in size as of 7 a.m. this morning, down from the estimated 300 acres late Tuesday night. More than 100 firefighters battled through the night to keep the fire from spreading into the city, and, by this morning, there were 250 fire personnel on scene.

Handcrews are working on the ground at the southwest flank of the blaze, which was first reported Tuesday afternoon near Bison Drive in the Walker Ranch area....

Due to the winds and rough terrain, officials said today's attack will be mainly aerial, including two massive C-130 air tankers dropping slurry...

Higher winds and thunderstorms this afternoon could ground the aerial attack, Kobel said. Winds also affected Tuesday's daytime ground attack, which was delayed when shifting winds moved the fire north, south and east.

The fire is burning in unpopulated, rough terrain, but the city of Boulder's primary concern remains the protection of homes in the city. Firefighters are concentrating today on creating a defense line around Shanahan Ridge...

The fire is now about 1.5 miles from city limits.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 am

Just hiked up Lookout Mtn and can see smoke in Shadow Canyon, but its hard to tell whether it's burning in there or whether it's smoke from the backside blowing over. It doesn't look nearly as big as yesterday, but maybe that's my angle?

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Pouring in Golden...so great to see rain! Hope they get this all up and down the FR.

Postby kushrocks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 pm

PaliKona wrote:Pouring in Golden...so great to see rain! Hope they get this all up and down the FR.

Awesome!!!

" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby fourseasoncyclist » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Time Lapse of Boulder fire:
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-807894

This is one of my favorite hiking areas. From longmont the fire looks to be going up toward bear peak and possibly as said before in the shadow canyon area.
Justin Smith
Longmont, CO
fourseasoncyclist@gmail.com

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

You can view the perimeter of the fire on the Wundermap page now:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/fire

Both South Boulder and Bear plus the top of Shadow Canyon so far...
Attachments
flagstaff-fire.png
flagstaff-fire.png (165.79 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Postby Doctor No » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm seeing solid rain in SoBo right now! =D>

Although, more lightning. :evil:

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 pm

I've seen a picture on Facebook showing the fire burning on Bear Peak's east side now.

Postby Mindy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I can confirm re: Bear Pk East Side (looking at it now). This time this small bit of fire that has jumped on Bear Peak IS NOT burning itself out. Major lightening going on right now - no rain.....

Postby sanchomurphy1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:12 pm

I was working for OSMP on the east side of Flagstaff yesterday when it started and we were pulled out because of the lightning. Since then we've been trying to figure out what to do since our trail work site for next week is at the heart of the fire. Two of my crew members were evacuated last night. My hope is that they get it under control soon since they have brought in the Feds today and set up in Chattauqua.
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow." -James Dean

Postby pbakwin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm

How about moving your crew to work on the new West Sanitas/Wittemyer trail???? :-)
I sure hope OSMP can get the trails open soon, once the fire is out. I'm sure many volunteers would be glad to help in that effort.

Postby Mindy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Just had a decent bit of rain. Wind now calm and sun shining. Where I saw flame earlier on E Bear now a plume of white smoke. I hope it stays that way. A heartfelt thank you to all involved in fighting this thing.

PreviousNext