night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chinook
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 31 8
Trip Reports (13)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by Chinook »

Yeah, I call it the exploding cloud.
Living the good life.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Here's one I took Friday night / Saturday morning. Hope you enjoy.

7 shot vertipano of the Milky Way - taken at the Silver Creek TH (Sunshine Redcloud).

Full image:

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/p21 ... /e2b98f366

Chinook: Great shots man! I don't remember showing you how to do this (hell, I don't even know who you are), but you're welcome just the same! 8)
Lyssah
14ers: 42 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lyssah »

Beautiful Matt!

A work friend of mine recently returned from Everest (APril 2012). He gave me some night sky shots because he knows I love star-watching. I won't post more than these because they are the ones he has publically posted. Please don't reproduce.

Camp 2, looking WNW down the Western Cwm. Venus in photo. Nuptse slope at left, Everest slope at right.

Base camp, looking NE toward Khumbutse (left), Lho La pass and Everest west ridge (right)
The strong live off the weak, and the clever live off the strong.
derekw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekw »

From twins lakes campsite last August.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I took my first night photos last weekend. Conditions were perfect, but my method was not. I realized later that my lens was out of focus. Also I have kind of a cheap tripod and no remote release. I am guessing that next time, I should set my lens to as wide-angle as possible, then focus, while it's still light out? really hard to focus when it's pitch black and I can't see through the viewfinder well.

Anyway, here's my substandard attempts at capturing a fantastic evening in YBB.

Camera settings:
lens- 18 mm
exposure: 30 seconds + long exposure noise reduction (take 1 minute per photo)
ISO- 800-1200
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
shotgung
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by shotgung »

njlinderer wrote:
Sugar Madison wrote:Shoshoni Peak (L) and Pawnee Peak (most of it, R), from Lake Isabelle

This is a sick photo!
yep, probably one of my favorites out of the bunch. Great color and good focal point
A project is complete when it starts working for you, rather than you working for it
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

This was taken along Nellie Creek road.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

djkest wrote:I took my first night photos last weekend. Conditions were perfect, but my method was not. I realized later that my lens was out of focus. Also I have kind of a cheap tripod and no remote release. I am guessing that next time, I should set my lens to as wide-angle as possible, then focus, while it's still light out? really hard to focus when it's pitch black and I can't see through the viewfinder well.

Camera settings:
lens- 18 mm
exposure: 30 seconds + long exposure noise reduction (take 1 minute per photo)
ISO- 800-1200
Not bad for your first try. Certainly better than my first attempt. If you have a lens with a focus scale and everything is far enough away, you can just focus at infinity. Unfortunately a lot of lenses these days don't have focus scales. If your lens doesn't have a focus scale, when it's light out you can focus on something far away (infinity) and mark this on your lens and just set your focus there using your headlamp when it's dark. Another more complicated way can be used if you have a camera with a live view display and don't know where infinity is. First set your ISO really high (just don't forget to reset it later before you take your shot). Find the brightest planet or star (or the moon, that's the easiest if it's out) and, using your tripod, try pointing your camera so the object is as close to dead center as possible. Now with live view, try finding the object under 5X or 10X magnification by toggling around the zoom area. You may also need to adjust the lens focus back and forth while you do this because you will never find the object if you are too out of focus. Once you find the object, focus on it and then recompose your shot. Just be really careful not to bump the lens out of focus as you do this. Reset your ISO to where you want it and shoot. I hope this made sense and will be of help.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

A couple from Bison Peak:

Bison Amphitheater by Moonlight
LostCreek-1.jpg
LostCreek-1.jpg (194.84 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
Moonlight and the Bison Monolith
LostCreek-2878.jpg
LostCreek-2878.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Twilight Over "The Spider"
Spider-2949.jpg
Spider-2949.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

^^^That is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Nice work Cameron. I'm heading into the Elks - hoping for some unique shots of the Bells in the dark ;)