Stupidity of Some People Concerning Fire Ban

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Stupidity of Some People Concerning Fire Ban

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Craig Cook wrote: Somewhat random question (or two): Can stage 3 fire bans go by county, or once it hits stage 3, is it automatically state-wide? And if there is a stage 3 ban in place, can peaks sitting on private property be hiked? I think I read that Sherman is owned by a mining company, and some of the DeCaLiBron peaks are privately owned as well. Would these peaks still be closed? I'm sure there are other examples of this as well (i.e. Culebra).
Yes, the bans can go by county or the governor can enact a statewide ban. Private property can still be accessed during a stage 3 ban but of course you would need permission. Opportunities to stay completely on private property and hiking 14ers are few and far between, Culebra would work though. I image it will be pretty darn busy this summer if we go to a stage 3 ban statewide.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Craig Cook »

RoanMtnMan wrote:
Craig Cook wrote: Somewhat random question (or two): Can stage 3 fire bans go by county, or once it hits stage 3, is it automatically state-wide? And if there is a stage 3 ban in place, can peaks sitting on private property be hiked? I think I read that Sherman is owned by a mining company, and some of the DeCaLiBron peaks are privately owned as well. Would these peaks still be closed? I'm sure there are other examples of this as well (i.e. Culebra).
Yes, the bans can go by county or the governor can enact a statewide ban. Private property can still be accessed during a stage 3 ban but of course you would need permission. Opportunities to stay completely on private property and hiking 14ers are few and far between, Culebra would work though. I image it will be pretty darn busy this summer if we go to a stage 3 ban statewide.
Thanks. Sounds like if a stage 3 ban occurs within the next couple weeks, I'll be out of luck. Very small potatoes compared to the folks living out there, but it would still be a bummer. Since I'm being all Chicken Little, what non-hiking activities would everyone recommend? I see the Rockies play the Phillies on the 13th...
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

I really have a hard time seeing there be a stage 3 ban since the impact on the economy would be huge. It all depends on if/when the monsoon comes.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Craig Cook wrote:I'm especially worried about driving out there on July 8, just a few days after the Fourth of July. I can't imagine how many people will ignore the ban on fireworks and set who knows how many areas ablaze.
Rest easy. Despite the potential to cause a fire, there has never been a wildfire in Colorado that was known to be caused by fireworks (since they are generally used in urban areas).
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Has there ever been a statewide stage III ban in CO? I read that some areas went under stage III restrictions in 2002 but I can't find any record of this ever happening statewide. If it is going to happen it would be this year I suspect. 7 of the state's 30 largest fires in history have already happened this year and it is only June. The extended forecast shows hot and dry with a chance of lightening.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

BTW, here is the aforementioned Trip Report from North Maroon Peak (shameless plug):

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;